Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sleep Remains for the Weak, Apparently.

Well, despite my best intentions, I did NOT go to bed early and/or get a whole lot more sleep last night. First, I was distracted by a concern that our furnace had gone out again. Turns out it was just that the temperature outside was dropping fast, and the house was cold because the heat needed to be turned up. Ha! After a winter of furnace problems, I seem to be left with residual furnace paranoia: fun for all.

Then, because my husband likes to do crazy things like go cross-country skiing at night in the middle of the dark, deserted woods in below-zero weather, when he's late getting home I tend to lie awake in bed wondering how I--or anyone--would know if he was just running late or if he had crashed into a tree, was injured, and would subsequently lie helpless in the snow until he died of exposure, thus throwing the girls and me into a spiral of poverty from which we could never recover.

By the time I heard the garage door open, it was well past my "early" bedtime, and the house had begun the crazy cracking and banging noises it makes at night when it's below zero outside. (This noise is a mystery to me. I have never lived anywhere else with this problem, yet I have friends and neighbors in my town who report this same phenomenon on extra-cold winter nights.) Who can sleep with that going on?

Then there's the overnight calls from the toddler who still doesn't sleep through the night.

It's true I'm getting a LOT more sleep now than I did for all those months (years) of night-nursing babies, but I think my body is neurologically still programmed to remain on nighttime high-alert, willing to sleep little and rouse easily and often, at the slightest noise or concern. It's a little frustrating.

What about you, readers? Do you ever struggle with sleep? Do you have any tips, tricks, or secret cures for insomnia? Does it involve being childless? Because that doesn't count.

5 comments:

Mommy Lisa said...

Why do husband's not understand how we think when they go out and do stuff like that? sigh.

Here's to more sleep.

Mom and Kiddo said...

Last night I was extremely excited that New Kid slept a full 3.5 hours (before continuing to wake up every 1-2 hours for the rest of the night). How pathetic is that? I always go to bed at the same time as he does just so I can get enough to get through the next day. Life? None.

Mnmom said...

Once you have kids, you forever sleep with one eye and one ear open. My subconcious is listening for the stomach flu, the bad dream, the daughter who was supposed to be home at 11:30, and now DEAR GOD the CAR!!!

I like what Bill Cosby says - that he had kids because he was getting too much sleep.

Rita said...

I have a 5 yr. old and a 1 yr. old and I too struggle with horrible, unrelenting insomnia. I wake at the slightest sound. And then cannot return to sleep.

I started sleeping with a box fan (on low) in my room. The low "white noise" works to muffle the "house noises". And on nights when I'm desperate for a good sleep, I move the baby monitor to my husband's side of the bed and take a benadryl. I've noticed if I can look forward to just ONE good night of sleep (on the weekends) I can function on less sleep the rest of the week.

Best of luck to you!

Also - I just love your blog. You are lovely.

Donna said...

Amen!

I used to be such a heavy sleeper and once I became a mom, I'm such a light sleeper.

Alcohol helps me to sleep better (or rather, sleep without waking) when I travel (I sleep even more horribly when I travel). But that, as a nightly solution, is about as useful as going childless.

Do you still use your white noise machine?