Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Toddler Can Read.

Genevieve just picked up a learning-to-read book that Julia brought home as her kindergarten homework today, a level 8 (first grade level) book she'd never seen or heard before. Before I could read it to the girls, Genevieve read the entire thing out loud, correctly. She asked what one word was: "shook." Other than that she read the whole book. It was ten pages long, with three sentences per page (i.e., 'Mom asked, "Do you want to ride your bike?" Ned shook his head. Ned said, "No."')

I have no idea how my 3-1/2-year-old learned how to read. But she can.

7 comments:

Mnmom said...

I'll bet she can! You've got a live one there. Sadly there's no gifted and talented programs in our schools.

Trish said...

Ah you make me laugh! Isn't it amazing what they do/learn behind your back?

Elise said...

That is amazing and I am jealous. Way to go Genevieve!

Shan said...

Elise ~ You know, I'm not all that sure it's something to be envious of! I mean, if she's reading at three, what's she gonna be like at five, when she starts kindergarten? Bored out of her skull? Unchallenged at school? I fear that the spectre of homeschooling is lurking in my future. And NO ONE WANTS THAT.

Anonymous said...

Further confirmation that Genevieve is truly Genius!

Donna said...

Anecdotally, I've heard that children who "learn" to read this young just start doing it and their parents have no idea why or how - just like you with G. And again anecdotally, adults who were children who just started reading can't explain how they knew how to read - and a curious wonder when finding out their peers had to learn to read and it just didn't happen.

But, no one ever doubted she would keep you on your toes, now did they?

Mamamiow said...

My son, he just turned three, can read as well. I got to your page googling up people with similar experience to learn the best way to deal with it. How do you do with your girl? I was looking at the schools and classes for his age group only just learning ABC and spelling three letters words. I'm thinking I might have to homeschool him.