Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What is it With Me and March and Getting Crazy Sick?

So, in case I haven't mentioned it yet, I'm totally sick. That little cold I caught last week has turned into a killer sinus infection. Blech.

You might not know this about me, but although I don't get sick terribly often, when I do, I have a tendency to get really, really sick. I'm the kid who missed her entire winter break during sixth grade, because I came down with a severe double ear infection on the first day of vacation, and didn't get completely better until the very last day. The last time I had a sinus infection, two years ago TO THE DAY (seriously, how crazy is that?!), I was sick for a full 3-1/2 weeks, during which my husband went out of town for work, I took care of two toddlers on my own while staying up at night crying from how badly my face hurt, I went to the doctor three separate times, and an entire season changed. When I finally recovered, it was full-on spring and I still had to pack away all the winter gear and find the girls' short-sleeved shirts and lightweight jackets. I seem to recall something about being about ten loads behind on laundry. Oh, and do you remember how that whole scenario ended? With me in the ER after an adverse reaction to a routine tetanus booster, caused by a nicked vein and a rare side effect of the antibiotic I was taking for the sinus infection? Ah, memories.

So, OK. Let's assume this bout isn't going to last NEARLY A MONTH. It's still been two weeks since I've exercised or worked on my book. I don't know if I'll be able to meet my monthly writing goal this month. And boy will I be sore when I next try to hobble out a measly two- or three-mile run. (Right now my legs get tired going up the stairs.) I hate being sick and having to reconfigure all my goals and self-expectations. It seems like I had just hit a really good stride with both the book and my running mileage when illness, scheduling conflicts, and other problems tumbled down on me all at once. So frustrating!

2 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

Blech! I hope you get back on track soon!

Mnmom said...

Sinus infections are the worst. Interestingly, since I started using a cpap machine at night for apnea, which started when I fell two summers ago and whacked my nose, I haven't had any!!! I don't know if it has any correlation but so far I'm loving it.

Last time my hubby left town, I came down with pneumonia just after his take off. It was horrible - the girls where small and scared that I was so sick.

Not only do I recommend the neti pot, but also the old fashioned sink-full-of-hot-water and a towel over your head method.

Get well soon!!