Monday, April 12, 2010

This is Why I Can't Go Back to Work. I Don't Have Time.

In the next two weeks, five family members and close friends (or kids of close friends) have birthdays, all of which involve celebrations, presents, and/or cake-making that include my participation. This is all super fun, of course, but oh my the busy-ness.

And then there's the furniture shopping that has become an emergency, after I basically broke through the seat of our old rocker last night as I sat down to enjoy my Reese's Peanut Butter Egg after my pathetic attempt to squeeze in a workout on my currently injured foot. Ahem. I swear, it wasn't the size of my rear end that broke the chair. The hole in the seat has been a long time coming. Really.

And then there's the fact that I am PAINTING THE HOUSE this spring/early summer. Oh dear God. No, no, to be precise, I am painting a bedroom myself (to start), hiring out the entire common living area on both floors of our house, and then working on gradual plans to repaint the other bedrooms and all three bathrooms. But I am in charge of the whole painting endeavor, from buying the blue painter's tape for the bedroom to contracting with the painting company for the big common-area job.

Did you know that spring also means nursery school and kindergarten field trips, the last day of preschool (it comes way too early), and preparations for my firstborn's birthday? Did you know that in one five-week span I will have attended at least six doctor and dentist appointments, my own and my children's combined? (Note: once you turn 39 your whole body starts to fall apart, apparently.) Oh! And two weekends of company visiting.

Have I mentioned oh dear God the busy-ness?

I often wonder, now that my children are three and five and have little school activities and parent meetings and teacher conferences and swim lessons and toddler tumbling and all the rest, how, if I currently feel like my life is a crazed race of busy-ness, I am ever going to survive the school-age years. You know, when children get REALLY busy? And you have to run carpool and get them here and there for games and lessons and sleepovers and even MORE birthday parties?

I'm not going to be able to take it.

Better to focus on today, and the cupcakes, and avoiding accidentally sitting down in the hole in the chair.

5 comments:

Mnmom said...

You could just put it in the bathroom and call it the new toilet!

Mary S. said...

May is an insane month when kids are in school. I think they do that so parents are thrilled when school ends.

Anonymous said...

It's time you took a trip to TX--I hear the Spa calling!!

-V

Rita said...

I'm having the same kind of Spring!

Where did all this business come from?

Oh right, I brought it all on myself.

Whoops!

Donna said...

My cousin is making a very last minute, very short trip home and we were planning on getting together except every time she suggested a time, I said, "I can't." Then I told her, "We're never this busy!" and then I realized that wasn't true we *are* that busy. And we're only going to get busier. *sigh*

(Although this weekend is much busier than usual with family obligations, and my husband gone for work.)