Thursday, June 24, 2010

Parenting Guarantee

While cleaning up the playroom one day, if you spy a cheap wooden color-it-yourself cut-out of a princess, which your toddler scribbled with marker and promptly forgot about, and which has been sitting unnoticed on the windowsill for six months or more, and then you throw it in the garbage because--well, really? isn't that obvious?--, then several weeks later your three-year-old will stumble tearfully downstairs DURING BEDTIME to find you, and ask in a quivering voice while holding her sister's identical princess cut-out (which, while colored nicely, has also been ignored for many months), "Do I still have this?" And then you will be forced to tell her no, and she will sob as if her heart is broken forever, and wail, "But I wanted to keep it!" repeatedly, her little shoulders heaving, her forehead damp with sweat, inconsolable and immune to your helpless explanation of, "But you never looked at it! I didn't know you wanted it, honey! I didn't think you liked it! You scribbled on it!", until you feel like the worst mother ever.

And then you will find yourself on Amazon searching under "wooden coloring princess kit" at 9 p.m. as you mentally smack your own forehead with your palm.

The end.

4 comments:

Mary S. said...

This is one of those karmic retribution things, like, you will always end up in the slowest line at the grocery store. Once you throw something away, someone wants it. That hasn't stopped me from throwing unused things away, but I know the consequences...

Mnmom said...

Lord Forgive Me I would lie like a rug at those moments. "No Honey, I never saw it".

Donna said...

So true. Been there!!

Rita said...

I've done this VERY thing. Twice.

Stinkin' neglected toys...