Friday, June 11, 2010

Summer!

Today is the last day of school in our public school district. (Genevieve's been out of preschool for 3+ weeks.) At 11 a.m. today, Julia will officially no longer be a kindergartner. There's not much to say other than what I already said in the post below, really.

The girls and I are off to embark on a summer of preschool day camp (4 days only), swimming lessons, and a tentative foray into six-year-old soccer (through the laid-back, non-competitive park district, not the town's soccer association). It sounds like a lot, but each activity meets for an hour or so at a time (or less), either daily for a couple of weeks or once a week for a month. I try not to schedule my daughters for a lot of structured activities, because it's expensive and also because I sincerely want them to have old-fashioned, innocent summers of expansive free time, but let's face it: there are A LOT of daylight hours to burn when you're a full-time stay-at-home mom to two children this young in the summertime. We need some scheduled things to do.

Aside from those more formal lessons, the girls and I will be meeting with our old playgroup once a week at a local park, and every other Friday we'll be making our joyful visits out to our CSA farm for our share of local organic produce.

It's tough--balancing the nostalgic wish for a long summer with nothing on the agenda, with the pragmatic need to fill some time and expose our young children to new sports, other children, and healthy socialization. I really struggle. Every summer I say, "We're only doing swimming," because I think swimming is non-negotiable, and then every summer I decide I really owe them a little more than that: preschool summer school to keep Genevieve familiar with and happy about her nursery school, to which she'll return in the fall; baby gymnastics or soccer to incorporate some exercise into the long hot days; playgroups because they need to see friends over the summer too, not just hang out with me. I'm sure this will be a continual dilemma over the years.

But all in all, I have to say, I truly cherish my summers at home with my girls, and I can't wait to get started. There's something magical about lazing around in the mornings, drinking coffee on the patio while they play in the sand table, running through the sprinkler in the afternoons, going on picnics.

And it's over all too soon. All moms know that.



Some photos from summers past

1 comment:

suddenly sahm said...

Hey there. Saw your comment on Friday playdate about writing. Have you read the Happiness Project? There is a group of people who do a challenge to write a novel in a month and when I read your comment, it seemed to fit! You commit to a number of words per day and at the end of the month you have a novel. You do no advance prep work. I am thinking about trying it myself. Cheers!