Friday, July 23, 2010

Cooking for Kids: Homemade Hummus

So, yesterday I promised you a tasty hummus recipe to eat with that yummy focaccia, didn't I? I'll give you two. Then you can try them both and decide which one you like better.

For years, I bought hummus at the store in those tiny little tubs. It was fine. Then I decided, how hard can it be to make my own?

I've never looked back. For one thing, homemade hummus is much cheaper than store-bought. Plus, it's fresher, you can customize it to your own taste (more or less tahini, leave out the garlic, etc.), and you don't have to worry about any preservatives or other questionable ingredients. And I know I'm always saying this, but it's true: it's easy. Oh so easy.

The first recipe below is your basic, original-flavor hummus, but this is a low-fat version (no olive oil). Believe me, it's still really good, but if you want to add olive oil, feel free. Throw in a tablespoon and maybe increase the lemon juice a little.

The second recipe is an unusual hummus made with all-natural peanut butter instead of tahini, with the addition of a few extra unique ingredients. It's fantastic; my kids love it and I find it utterly addictive.

Let me know if you try them, and which one you like better!

Original Low-Fat Hummus

Ingredients:
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 T. tahini (sesame seed butter, found in the health-food or organic section of most groceries)
1/3 c. water
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, pressed/minced

Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until it reaches your preferred consistency. If the mixture is too thick to blend, add a bit more water or lemon juice.


Deliciously Different Peanut-Spice Hummus

Ingredients:
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2-3 T. lemon juice
1/4 c. plain yogurt (nonfat or not; either is fine)
2 T. all-natural creamy peanut butter (the kind with no added sugar; Smucker's makes a good version)
1/2-1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
2 T. olive oil
a small drizzle of dark Asian sesame oil (optional)
1 large garlic clove, pressed/minced

Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until it reaches your preferred consistency. If the mixture is too thick to blend, add a bit more lemon juice or a tablespoon or two of water.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I like to throw in some artichoke hearts when I make hummus.

Hummus with peanut butter? Yum! My son is going to LOVE that.