Friday, July 02, 2010

The Island of Misfit Parents

From one of the funniest columns about parenting I have ever read (via Salon.com, today):

...The gangs speak their own languages when it comes to things like sleep training, and it's important to learn to decipher them. For instance, our friend Marsha recently asked me whether our daughter was "sleeping through the night yet," which in gang-speak means, "How are things on the Island of Misfit Parents?" I tried but failed to change the subject, and when I described the ambivalent, improvised approach Jenny and I take, I was met with the inevitable phrase, "Whatever works for you!" which means, "Have fun visiting her in juvie!"...

Click here to read the whole thing. It's not all about sleep training. But it is about the conflicting "gangs" of modern parents, at war over who's doing sleep, peanut allergies, feeding, birthing, and, um, surviving as new parents the RIGHT WAY. Very astute, and very hilarious.

Oh, and by the way? I am. Doing it the right way.

No comments: