Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Life is Crazy but the Walls Look Nice

I've been living out of my car for the past two days. With two children under seven. And one of those children recently sustained an injury that necessitated a nighttime trip to the ER, and so is not feeling 100% and had to see the pediatrician for follow-up yesterday. (An aside: why do ER visits always happen at night?)

OK, so I haven't been fully living out of my car, but we have professional housepainters here this week, painting the interior of our house. You know: the entry, the kitchen, the living room, the dining area, the stairs, the playroom/office. Places where my children and I normally spend our days. So between 9 and 5, we've been basically trying to make ourselves scarce. Even though we all need naps and one of us is recovering from an injury. Hmmm.

My daytime handbag/tote is currently stuffed with: sippy cups, sunscreen, bug spray, extra kid clothes, hoodies, kid sunglasses, kid snacks, a stuffed rooster, money, my cell phone, and anything else I feel I might need as I traipse my kids from place to place all over town during the day so as not to be at home where the painters are painting. The front seat of my car is piled with coloring books, a travel box of crayons and markers, and containers for picking berries at our CSA farm, in case we decide to kill some time by visiting the farm and picking some berries. We have gone out to lunch once and for coffee (me)/treats (them) once. We carry our food with us.

Oh, and my husband's grandfather just died, so Christopher is currently attempting to make travel plans to drive to the end of the earth ooops I mean the Upper Peninsula for the funeral.

Did I mention the injury and the ER visit? (The details are too shudder-inducing to go into here. She will be fine. But it was NOT PRETTY and it requires RECOVERY TIME TO A VERY SENSITIVE AREA. And no, she was not on my watch when it happened. Enough said about that.)

But hey! The walls of my house look really, really good. Which they should, given the amount of money I am paying to have someone other than me paint the entire open floor plan of my house.

4 comments:

Rob Hardy said...

For the record: the Upper Peninsula is one of my favorite places on the planet.

Shan said...

Oh, I know---it's totally beautiful and we honeymooned there. It's just a long isolated drive away.

Rita said...

Ugh. Sounds just awful.

Well, except for the paint. That sounds nice.

Mnmom said...

Life is funny, isn't it? It's just full of stories like this one. Or the one where we remodeled a house when the twins were 2 and had the stove in the living room for weeks, and a giant screenless screened porch to run in.