Tuesday, September 21, 2010

And the Opposite of "August" is "Insanely Busy."

Genevieve's first day of school, September 10, 2010

Yesterday morning at 7:50 when the girls and I walked down the block to the bus stop it was drizzly and chilly--maybe 50 degrees at best--with a cool wind. We shivered waiting for the bus and wondered what happened to typical warm summery Minnesota September weather. It was like that all day. And then at about 2:30 p.m. the sun came out and within half an hour the temperature had gone up 20+ degrees and my house got so hot and humid that I had to turn on the air conditioning. It was rather jarring, the speed at which things changed.

This is what life has felt like since school began just over two weeks ago. We seem to have gone from zero to 60 mph in a matter of seconds. All of a sudden I don't have time to call my dear friend in San Antonio to catch up, because I am no longer spending lazy mornings sitting on the patio while my girls play in the sand table.

Instead, I am doing bus stop duty, preschool pick-up and drop-off runs, homework supervision, after-school playdates, volunteer school-room cleaning, lunch packing, snack baking, sick-child caretaking, first-grade-moms coffees, preschool-moms' coffees. I am looking ahead and planning for or scheduling things like school breaks, parent-teacher conferences, school photos, fundraisers, grandparent visits, fall preschooler gymnastics class, classmates' birthday parties, snack turn, applesauce-making. I am writing 10 articles a week on health, nutrition, and fitness for a company that provides content to LiveStrong.com and pays by the piece. I am back to working on my book. I am running 15 to 20 miles a week and counting down the hours to the "Glee" season premiere tonight. (I am a bit of a dork in that regard.) I am making apple crisp and pumpkin bread and baked squash and banana muffins and chocolate-chip pancakes and potato-white-bean soup and raspberry-apple pie.

In other words, I have whiplash from the sudden and extreme change from my life all summer to my life in September. It's all good, it's just a little head-spinning. Much like the weather in Minnesota in the fall.

In other updates, Genevieve has stopped crying when I leave her at nursery school, and she tells me that the opposite of "lion" is "tiger," and that the opposite of "car" is "truck." In case you wondered.

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

Look how long and skinny her legs are! When did she quit being a chubby baby?

Rita said...

I feel EXACTLY the same way...
Where is the "pause" button?

Hang in there!