Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Self-Clean the Oven" Was on My Life List

Oh my word, I'm boring this week. Here it is Wednesday, and what have I said here? Something about the throwing-up flu, and that's it. Apologies.

OK, yes, so Julia already missed a day of school, five days into the year. Not a harbinger of good things to come. Also: harbinger: used correctly here or not? I'm not sure anymore. College was a long time ago.

So, do I sound tired? I think I'm tired. Don't worry--everything's great. School is great; weather is great; running is great. But the beginning of a new school year is tiring. I never thought I'd be the mom who wakes up at 5:30 a.m. to get myself ready for the day before waking up my kids for school, and yet....here I am, setting my alarm for 5:30 a.m. Oy! That's early. This is what you have to look forward to, oh moms of preschool-aged-and-under children.

And honestly, there's just a lot to do. I'm way behind on my (own, personal, arbitrary) schedule for writing my book--like, nearly four months behind. Oops! Summer of Fun, remember?! I'm thrilled to be doing some writing for money. (THRILLED. But busier now.) I feel like I should be a first grade room parent one morning a week, though I'm conflicted because of the time involved. And yet: what the heck? What am I doing this full-time mothering gig for, anyway, if not for time to be a room parent? I'm back up to my normal running mileage, which takes more time (but is so worth it). In other words, there are only so many hours in the day, and sleep takes a back seat to running, writing, earning money, cooking, cleaning, and taking care of my kids. Nothing new there, right?

In other news, I finally self-cleaned my oven. Thank you. You can send congratulatory notes to shannon@tassava.com. Flowers can be delivered between noon and 5 p.m., today through Friday.

5 comments:

Mnmom said...

What are you doing at 5:30am???

Shan said...

Well, I prefer to get in and out of the bathroom before Christopher gets up for work at 6. Also, I really really really do better if I can make/have my coffee BEFORE the children get up. So I give myself enough time to go downstairs, feed the cat, turn on NPR, make my coffee, and check the weather and my messages. And, because I have the world's most slow and poky child in the a.m., I have to wake her up at 6:15 to give her enough time to get ready for school leisurely and still have time for a little bit of play before we leave for the bus at 10 to 8. Sigh! Tired.

Rob Hardy said...

Self-cleaning the oven is no trivial matter. The only domestic crisis our student renters had during our year in England was when the oven door locked for self-cleaning and refused to unlock. The helpful neighbor had to come over and force it open.

Shan said...

And now everyone can see why it has taken me years to self-clean the oven.

Angel said...

5:30?!?! I roll out of bed at 6:50, just in time to wake up Grace & Coop and throw on some clothes while getting them fed and ready. I prefer winter because then you won't notice I still have my pj's on under my coat. ;)