Monday, October 04, 2010

Simple and Delicious Family Cooking: Whole-Wheat Banana Chocolate-Chip Muffins

Last week I wrote ten freelance articles on health and nutrition. I also wrote a chapter for my book--the chapter on moms' fitness--and an outline for the next. Practicing what I preach, I ran a total of 17 miles and did a couple of short strength workouts. I cooked for a close friend with a new baby, and I spent most of a day visiting her and her family--new nursling and all--with my family. I took Julia to swimming lessons. I spent 90 minutes at the eye doctor and organized a volunteer committee for cleaning the classrooms at my daughters' co-op nursery school. I took my children to our CSA farm to get vegetables and pick flowers. I hosted a playdate and went on two or three others at the park with fellow-mom friends and their kids, after school. I took Genevieve on a picnic for lunch one day, and to library storytime another. She and I baked chocolate-chip-butterscotch bars (that would be "pan cookies" to those of you not from Minnesota) together, and banana-chocolate-chip muffins too, because can you ever have too many chocolate chips? Not if you're four.

A friend asked me how I could possibly be that productive last week. I told her I gave up some sleep, but the other part of the answer is this: I didn't waste much time, and I didn't blog very often.

All of which is a really long way to say: a.) I don't have time to blog every day right now, sorry; and b.) Remember those muffins I just mentioned? Here's the recipe, which provides me with an easy, lazy blog post.

No, really, they're very yummy. And just the thing to bring to postpartum nursing mamas who are so hungry they eat two roast-beef sandwiches for breakfast one day. (So they tell me.) And also to feed to sweet children on playdates or for after-school snacks.


Whole-Wheat Banana Chocolate-Chip Muffins
makes 12

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1/2 c. canola oil
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 1-1/2 bananas)
1 c. whole-wheat flour
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard-sized muffin tin with paper liners.

In a large bowl, mix the eggs, oil, brown sugar, vanilla, and mashed bananas. In a separate bowl, mix the two flours, baking powder, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir until just combined. Add chocolate chips and fold in.

Spoon into muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake about 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Do not overbake, or muffins will be dry.

These muffins are great served warm, but also freeze well for later breakfasts and snacks. Or bringing to friends with new babies.

No comments: