Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Simple and Delicious Family Cooking: Shortcut Peanut Butter Cookies


So the other night I realized at the last minute that I needed some refreshments to serve company the next day. Only I didn't have any butter out of the freezer, so I couldn't make my usual cookies or brownies. And I felt too lazy to make any of my favorite muffins, which call for quite a few ingredients.

So I made what has to be the simplest cookie recipe in the world. Seriously, you won't believe these cookies even work, but they do. I mean, three ingredients? No flour? Insanity!

I figured maybe you'd like to have the simplest cookie recipe in the world on hand too, for those evenings you realize at the last minute that you need sweet treats in your pantry too. So here it is. And it's good! The cookies turn out really yummy. Like, oops I just ate four yummy. For example. Just an example.

Note: it's a small recipe; it only makes about 24 cookies. Also, I used a jar of cheap, "regular" peanut butter--the kind with added sugar and palm oil--for this recipe, because I didn't want to use up a cup of my usual expensive, all-natural peanut butter, the kind made ONLY from peanuts and salt, even though that's the kind of peanut butter our family normally uses. I happened to have a jar of Skippy on hand from when my parents brought us groceries awhile back. You go ahead and do what you like.

Enjoy!

Shortcut Peanut Butter Cookies
makes 2 dozen

Ingredients:

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together the peanut butter, sugar, and egg. If dough is very soft, refrigerate for awhile until it firms up enough to roll. Pour some sugar onto a small plate. Then, roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in the sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Take a fork and press each ball down in two directions to make criss-cross marks.

Bake about 10 minutes, or until golden brown around edges. Let sit on sheet for a minute, then remove to a cooling rack.

1 comment:

Anne said...

thanks! we're also into the wholesome natural peanut butter for our sandwiches, but we got some Skippy sitting around that I want to get some good use of; I'll try this recipe!