Thursday, October 14, 2010

Simple and Delicious Family Cooking: Peanut Butter-Banana Muffins

This photo does not look very appealing, I admit.
But these muffins were SO GOOD, I swear.

Yes, I'm still baking. More muffins, even! Can you believe it? Well, you see, they're so easy to make with willing four-year-olds, and they're so great for freezing and popping out one or two at a time to microwave-thaw for children's breakfasts. And they're so perfect for lunchbox snacks. And when you make healthy varieties, like I generally do, you can feel good about serving your children what are essentially pastries, only not really.

This morning I created this recipe. I had no idea if it would work or even taste right, but OH MY HEAVENS SO GOOD. Seriously, I had no intention of posting this recipe until I tasted one of these muffins and determined that the whole world needs to try them. Or, you know, the 50 or so people who read my blog. Ha ha ha!

OK, seriously. You have to make these. SO good, so wholesome, so satisfying. Packed full of whole grains and high-protein/high-calcium yogurt or milk or buttermilk. Full of banana and heart-healthy, kid-friendly peanut butter. How can you go wrong? You can't.

Peanut Butter-Banana Muffins
makes 12 to 16

Ingredients:

2 large eggs
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup milk, OR 1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup whole oats
2/3 cup (approximate; I did not measure) peanut butter
1 large mashed ripe banana
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 to 16 muffin cups with papers.

In large bowl, mix eggs, yogurt/milk or buttermilk, oil, brown sugar, and oats. In a small bowl, mix together peanut butter and mashed banana. Add peanut butter-banana mixture to other wet ingredients and mix well.

In a separate large bowl, mix both flours, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir only until everything is combined; do not over-mix.
Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups, about 3/4 full. (The number of cups you fill will depend on the size of your muffin tin cups and how big you want your muffins to be. I made 16 muffins.)

Bake about 14 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean or mostly so. Watch carefully; mine almost burned on top when I did 15 minutes initially.

Let cool on wire rack, then devour warm or at room temperature. Soooooo delish.

Wouldn't these be great with jam, cream cheese, or just simply plain and warm for breakfast?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you know I have over-ripe bananas yearning to be appreciated? I smell breakfast...

Thanks, you are so generous with your recipe sharing (and in so many other ways, too!)
Laura

Mom and Kiddo said...

Clearly your next project is to write a muffin recipe book!

Rita said...

I agree! I think you should totally do a cookbook!

And I made a peach crumble pie in your honor. Mmmmm. GOOOD!

Too bad you're so far away from Oklahoma, or I'd have invited you over to share a piece : )