Tuesday, December 21, 2010

First-World Problems. Or: You Can Be Stressed Out By AND Grateful For Your Life At The Same Time.


Here is the thing I am learning this week: Even if you are committed to keeping the holidays small and manageable, and compared to the rest of the world you actually do (no travel, limited gifts, lots of simple pleasures like playing in the snow and sledding rather than extravagant expensive activities or too many social obligations), the week before Christmas is still really busy.

Even as you're lazing around in your pj's with your on-school-vacation kiddos, baking cookies and planning sledding-and-hot-chocolate playdates and doing cozy things like sitting in front of the fireplace reading Christmas stories, you're still thinking about the fact that you haven't wrapped any gifts yet, and your freelance-writing job isn't on vacation so you've got deadlines to meet if you want to get paid (which you do), and you still haven't planned the menu or bought groceries for Christmas dinner, and you've still got a major section of your book proposal to revise before the new year.

But you know that two weeks of Christmas vacation will be over in the blink of an eye and you should be cherishing each one of these no-schedule days.

But as a stay-at-home and work-from-home mom you're always on a schedule.

So then you go and eat more Christmas cookies in an attempt to distract yourself from your stressful to-do list. Thus adding one more thing to your to-do list. ("Lose holiday pounds.")

Can anyone else relate???

4 comments:

Rob Hardy said...

I can't bring myself to do anything but cook and read and ski. My next writing deadline is January 10. I need to write 6,000 words before then. But I'll get to it after Christmas. Now it's holiday time!

Shannon said...

Ahhh, Rob--just what I needed to hear today! :)

Mary S. said...

Ditto what Rob says, except I've only skied once.

Rita said...

Oh my goodness those girls look so much like their momma!

(And I've eaten roughly 4 dozen cookies this week trying to "distract" myself from my list. EEEK!)