Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Apparently My Immune System is on Winter Break.

I woke up at five this morning--a half hour before my alarm goes off on school days--because my head was throbbing and my sinuses were competing with my sore throat for Most Terrible Pain award. I also couldn't stop sneezing, nor could I breathe. My first thought was, Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have run 6 miles in the snow last night. But then I remembered I volunteered in Julia's class yesterday. Damn those germy first-graders!

Speaking of volunteering, yesterday a six-year-old came up with a better way to explain "tens" and "ones" to our advanced math group than the haphazard, I-have-no-idea-what-I'm-doing technique I was using. Yep, Challenge Math continues to be a challenge. For me, that is. Seriously, you all, I don't think I'm qualified to be a weekly first-grade volunteer. Yes, yes, I did earn a Ph.D., the training for which included courses in Advanced Statistics (now there's Challenge Math, for you!), but that was a long time ago. (First grade was an even longer time ago.) And apparently counting has changed since then.

Lastly, keep your fingers crossed for me. The book proposal for my "survival guide for the modern stay-at-home mom" is currently in the hands--or, rather, in the e-mail in-boxes--of three literary agents at a firm in New York City. This book is destined to be published, I just know it. It's only a matter of time and the right circumstances. You'd all buy it, right? Just say yes.

3 comments:

Mnmom said...

Ok, yes I'd buy it although it would just awaken my serious case of PTSD, and cause me to run screaming through the streets hurling molotov-sippy-cups through store windows.

Have you tried emergen-C? I swear by it. That and the neti pot have kept my sinus problems at bay.

Rita said...

OMG you're sick AGAIN?!? I am SO SORRY that totally sucks!

Also? You have a PhD? When are you going to stop impressing me? I am gobsmacked.

Shannon said...

Rita, you are too funny. Who says "gobsmacked?" ;) Yes, I am a clinical psychologist, which means I have a Ph.D. in clinical psychology. If you can believe it.