Saturday, January 01, 2011

Living in the Past

OMG! I can't stop obsessing on this photo of how looooong my beloved hair used to be. I've been browsing iPhoto this evening, putting together some head shots to accompany my book proposal, and I came across this old snap. Remember it?

I would kill for that hair now!

OK, so now that you all think (or still think) I'm hair-obsessed, looks-obsessed, or both, I will defend myself by explaining that I have had an angst-ridden relationship with my hair since having babies. It all fell out, it finally grew back in, it fell out again, it grew back in, it's falling out. In between, I fried it to death in the pool with my daughters and had to chop it off. As you know.

Yes, I'm still obsessed with my former hair. And looking at that photo above makes me whimper a little bit.

Moving on!

OK, my book proposal is sent out. Really! Five minutes ago I e-mailed it off, two days early, to an agent I connected with in early December. While Christmas break didn't exactly go as planned--I ended up with only about 2-1/2 hours of dedicated, kid-free time to work on my proposal, and during some of that time I was also making dinner--I worked it out. I got less sleep than I would have liked, and I had very little if any recreational time. Because--guess what?--even if you're writing a book proposal, if you're a full-time stay-at-home and part-time work-from-home mom of two, you still have to cook the meals and do the laundry and clean the house and take care of the children and DO ABSOLUTELY EVERY SINGLE THING RELATED TO CHRISTMAS IF YOU CAN THINK OF IT I DID IT AND BY MYSELF TOO. Ahem.

But who cares about all that? Because I JUST SENT OUT MY BOOK PROPOSAL. And that may be the all-time absolute best thing I've ever done on the first day of a new year.

(New Year's resolution: Grow out my hair.)

2 comments:

Mary S. said...

Congratulations!! It is really tough to juggle kids, freelance work, and a big project, but what a great accomplishment. Doing long-form writing is so challenging compared to articles and other short things when you have little ones around. You should be hugely proud -- here's hoping for a good response from the agent and a publisher!

Donna said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You're amazing. And you're beautiful - with short and long hair.