Monday, January 10, 2011

Simple and Delicious Family Cooking: Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake

I will never be mistaken for a food photographer, that is for sure.

I interrupt our regular All-Sick-All-The-Time programming to bring you an accidental recipe. The other day I discovered an unopened two-cup tub of sour cream in my refrigerator, about to expire. Since using it up via an entire packet of dry onion soup mix and a jumbo bag of potato chips seemed delicious but imprudent, I asked my friends for some ideas. One of them gave me her recipe for cranberry coffee cake that she swore was scrumptious (and I'm sure it is). Fantastic! I could make it with my daughters.

That day I had to go to Target, even though I was (of course) sick. So since I was already there, and I was sick and was NOT going to make a separate trip to the grocery store, I figured I'd pick up a can of whole-berry cranberry sauce (integral to the recipe, natch) in the market section of the store. (This was not a SuperTarget, you all, just a regular Target that has a small and limited dry-goods supermarket section.)

You guessed it: no cranberries. But remember? Sick and not making a separate trip to the grocery store. But need to use up the sour cream.

I bought a can of cherry pie filling. No matter that it's larger than the called-for can of cranberries. No matter that it's FULL of high-fructose corn syrup (so is canned cranberry sauce), and that it's not nearly as tart as cranberry sauce. I'd estimate the amount. I'd cut down on the sugar in the recipe!

No matter that I did not have chopped nuts at home for the recipe, either. Nor that, when I went to start the recipe, I realized I'd forgotten to soften the butter beforehand. (And it was in the freezer!) (Nothing 20 minutes on a plate on the floor in a sun spot can't cure!)

Yesterday the girls and I made this accidental, anything-goes coffee cake, and wouldn't you know it was gorgeous and delicious. The kicker is that this cake is a Bundt cake, and even though I totally abused the original recipe, it is the only Bundt cake I have ever made that has actually risen, and has come out of the pan intact. Seriously! I have this vendetta against Bundt cake recipes. Well, until now.

So here it is. And, by the way, this would be PERFECT for a little Valentine's Day children's party or family dessert for Valentine's Day dinner, all red and white and swirly. So keep that in mind.

Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake
12 servings

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream (I used "lite")
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 cups (approximately) cherry pie filling; you could probably use the whole 20 oz. can with no ill effects, though

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-1/2 T. warm water
1/4 tsp. almond extract

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream into the butter-sugar mixture, stirring well. Stir in almond extract.

Spoon half the batter around the ring of the Bundt pan (batter will be very thick), spreading with your spoon. Spread half the cherry pie filling on top of the batter. Top with the rest of the batter, then end with the rest of the cherries.

Bake about 50 minutes or until browned and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean or mostly so. Cook in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Then invert onto rack to cool the rest of the way. (Place your wire rack upside down over the top of the cake pan, hold it there, then quickly flip the whole thing over so the cake in the pan is now resting on the rack. Carefully remove the pan, and the cake should pop out, upside down, which is really right-side up.) When cooled, carefully slide onto a cake plate. Mix glaze ingredients and drizzle glaze over completely cooled cake.

My girls' evaluation? YUM.

3 comments:

Mnmom said...

YUM! I've always had good luck with bundt cakes, especially my pound cake. I will definitely be making this one!

But I'm stuck on the idea of dip and chips not making the cut. Why ever not? Thats my comfort food of choice.

Rita said...

OMG I'm making this immediately!

Because, here in the South, we live and die by cherry pie filling.Yummmy!

Keri said...

Hey, Mama. Things in Wonderland look great and delicious. Thanks, Keri

samwich365.com