Saturday, January 22, 2011

You Don't Want to Admit it, Some of You, But You Secretly Love Gwyneth.

I love how my numbers go up every time I write about Gwyneth Paltrow. You guys love your Gwyneth! Maybe I should should just turn this into a Gwyneth Paltrow fan site and watch my readership really skyrocket.

This was kind of a weird week. It turned so viciously cold that the children could not go outside to play in the snow after school for days on end, and I was forced to use my elliptical machine to get in my cardio workouts after nearly getting frostbite during a five-mile run last Sunday. I finally got myself a flu shot, about three months late, and set a land speed record for making it through a Target shopping trip, start to finish, in 20 minutes in order to get to preschool pick-up on time. (This involved running in the store while pushing a full cart. I think I scared some people.) My six-year-old mysteriously cried every morning about going to school--or rather, not wanting to go to school--saying she misses me during the day and doesn't want to be there; this, from a child who has never had trouble separating for school--causing me to eventually have a giant stress attack and eat too much ice cream alone in front of the TV on one particularly distressing evening, after she'd sobbed at bedtime and my mama brain started racing to unpleasant places involving someone secretly doing something bad to her when no one is looking. (Luckily, this ice-cream emotional-eating attack coincided closely with finding out via the doctor's scale that, although my scale at home is seven pounds low, my holiday indulgences resulted in just two extra pounds, which I can live with.) Parenting is hard, you all.

And then yesterday when I woke up it was 29 degrees below zero, with a windchill of 41 below, so that was crazy and odd. I mean, yes, I live in Minnesota, and it IS January, but honestly--it's not usually that cold here. It's not usually even CLOSE TO that cold here.

We ended the super-cold day and somewhat upsetting week by snuggling under blankets and pillows in front of the fireplace, eating popcorn for dinner, and watching "The Jungle Book"--my daughters' favorite movie--on video, loaned from some friends for our Family Movie Night. So that was good.

No comments: