Thursday, March 31, 2011

If It's Spring Break, Shouldn't It Be Spring?

So, Spring Break. The time when I get nothing done, because I don't have any time free of the care of small children. Don't get me wrong; I loooove not having to go out to the bus stop at 7:55 a.m. And I love having my girls at home. But I AM GETTING NOTHING DONE.

Yesterday I literally spent all day doing things like reading chapters from Little House in the Big Woods aloud to my girls, washing clothes for our upcoming out-of-town weekend trip, baking muffins with my daughters (also for the weekend trip), taking Julia to a birthday party (where I had to stay and hang out for awhile--with Genevieve--because it was a pool party and Julia was nervous about it and didn't want me to go), taking Genevieve for a treat during the party to make up for the fact that Julia got to go to a birthday party and she didn't, picking Julia back up from the birthday party, refereeing many kid arguments, supervising many kid activities, and writing a column for BlogHer (squeal!) because I recently got another idea accepted for publication on their homepage. (I'll let you know when it's up on the site.)

All well and good, but here's what I DIDN'T get done:
  • Any of my freelance work for the week (yikes! sigh.)
  • Exercise of any kind (yikes. sigh.)
  • Cleaning the bathrooms
  • Any cleaning at all, for that matter
  • Returning phone calls
  • Cooking anything for dinner that didn't require frozen items and the microwave
You see what I mean.

However I did find the time to stress-eat chocolate and thus add to my winter collection (yes it is still winter here) of cold-weather- and poor-mood-induced pounds that I will then be faced with trying to lose this spring before the city pool re-opens. Yikes, sigh.

I can't help but think that if only it were about 10 or 15 degrees warmer around here and the snow would all melt, I'd magically become productive, energetic, relaxed, happy, and not crabby about having to clean the bathrooms.

1 comment:

Mom and Kiddo said...

I keep hearing that everyone is reading Laura Ingalls Wilder to their kids. You will probably enjoy this post: http://amomamok.blogspot.com/2010/10/thank-god-were-not-pioneer-people.html