Friday, March 18, 2011

Things Could Be Worse.

Yesterday my daughter got off the school bus and ran to me with a stricken look on her face. Her eyes were wide and sad and she could hardly keep from spilling her terrible news until she got close enough for me to hear. She looked so upset that I crouched down to her level and blocked out the sounds and actions of the other children and parents, our friends, greeting each other and chatting and walking off toward their houses. I ignored everyone and got up close to her face as she whimpered, "Mama, the most disappointing thing happened today." I braced myself for no one would play with me at recess or I couldn't do the hula hoop in gym class or I fell down when I got on the bus.

But she said, "When we went to the library today, the Book Fair tables were all set up in front of the shelves, and so we could only check out books from the nonfiction section!"

And I breathed a sigh of relief.

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

For a reader, that is TRAGIC!

Nonna said...

Hey, Julia! There's a whole wonderful world out there in the nonfiction section! You can go anywhere and meet anybody there! Read on!!