Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Simple and Delicious Family Cooking: Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

Yes, I started the 30 Day Shred yesterday. Strangely, even just doing day one made me feel better. Of course it helps to have comrades-in-arms. You don't want to have to think you're doing all those push-ups on your own.

So it's day two of the Shred, and because the pool is still just around the corner even though a snowstorm is currently on its way (kill me), and because Susan has inspired me by BUYING A BIKINI OMG, I'm going to work on cleaning up my diet for the next 30 days as well. As in, no more evening snacking. Extra seven pounds, be gone!

But, I can't leave you all out in the cold now can I? So since I will not be eating it, I feel compelled to share with you the recipe I made for my husband's birthday last week, because it is so good you will think you've died and gone to heaven as you eat it, and yet it's so easy anyone can make it.

This is a chocolate chip cookie pie. No, not a pie-shaped giant chocolate chip cookie. A pie that is made from sort of a chocolate chip cookie dough/batter. Even though it sounds really good, it tastes even better. There are no words. Totally addicting. I have been thinking it for a week.

A note: this recipe is from Babble's Family Kitchen blog. However, I substantially reduced the baking time. My pie was deeply golden brown, and yet the inside (when warm) was still a little gooey, but in a good way. Trust me, it was fabulous. BUT then we chilled the leftovers in the fridge overnight and had the pie the next night too, when it had firmed into a dense rich chocolatey buttery treat so divine I almost want to advise you to chill the pie first, then eat it. Except it's so good fresh and warm you'll want to try it that way too.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
8 to 12 servings

Ingredients:
1 unbaked pre-made pastry pie crust
2 large eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 sticks softened butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Spray or oil a 9-inch pie pan and unfold your piecrust into the pan, pressing firmly.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the eggs until frothy. Add in the two sugars, flour, and salt, and beat until totally smooth. Add in softened butter and beat until smooth again. Then stir chocolate chips in by hand.

Pour batter into pie pan and bake for about 45 minutes, until deep golden brown. If the center looks a little un-set, that's okay. Let pie sit and cool a bit before cutting and serving with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Store leftovers in fridge and enjoy chilled the next day. You will probably not be able to stop at just one piece.

No comments: