Tuesday, May 24, 2011

First Post-Preschool Week

last day of preschool

First, let me just say that my heart goes out to the families in Missouri and Minneapolis whose homes were destroyed by tornadoes on Sunday, or, even worse, who lost loved ones in the storms. My family lives just one hour south of Minneapolis, and we get a lot of dramatic weather, but on Sunday the tornadoes didn't come close to us. Thank God. I can't even imagine what those affected are going through right now.

What I'm going through is a lot less horrible--not even on the chart of horrible, compared to having your home destroyed by a tornado or losing someone you love in one. I have a pulled hip muscle that is keeping me from running, doing the 30 Day Shred, or anything else that burns calories and keeps me sane. I'm pretty mad about it, if you want to know the truth. Doesn't my hip know that the pool opens soon, and I can't run off five pounds if I can't run? And what about my killer arm muscles from suffering through the Shred for 26 days? Are they going to disappear before I'm able to exercise again? Because that would be a shame.

In addition, Genevieve and I are going through nursery school withdrawal. Seriously, it blows. She's done with preschool a full three weeks before the elementary-school kids begin their summer vacation, so basically we're just sitting around being bored (her) and realizing there's no more kid-free time to do things like grocery shop or go to the doctor (me).

Like I said: not exactly complaint-worthy compared to tornadoes. But not exactly a good combination, either.

4 comments:

Mommy Lisa said...

Sorry you pulled your hip. I have mixed feelings about pre-k being over and kindergarten this fall.

Donna said...

So sorry you hurt your hip. Ugh.

And if *you* are using the word "blows", it's bad. :(

Also, I am right there with you with the nostalgia and moving onward. My daughter finishes preschool at the end of this week. I'm going to be so sad to not go there every day like I have for the past 5 years (it's the same school my son went to - he started when I was pregnant with my daughter). But, she's excited to move on and I am grateful to the school for helping her become the dynamo that she is today.

I love how our parenting journeys continue to parallel. :)

Anonymous said...

Is your friend in OK alright? I know they got hit pretty badly. Not sure what part of the state she's in.

-V

Shannon said...

V: Yes, Rita is fine. The tornadoes did not hit OKC itself (as I understand it) though were very close. She has 2 small children also so it is a relief that they are all safe.