Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Images of Spring

It's spring! Oh, I know, it's probably been spring for two months or more where YOU live. But where I live, spring just came on Sunday. This entire week is predicted to be sunny, dry, and in the 60s and 70s--at last!--and yesterday on public radio the Minnesota state meteorologist reported that we haven't had weather this nice here for SEVEN AND A HALF MONTHS.

Let me just say that again. SEVEN. AND A HALF. MONTHS.

At this point I stop feeling bad about all my constant complaining and moaning about winter, cold, snow, and rain, and start simply congratulating myself for actually living through it. Because: SEVEN AND A HALF MONTHS, PEOPLE! There are no words.

But now it is spring, and if there's anything that screams "spring," it's my Rhubarb Crumble Pie.


I know I often rave about recipes, but this one really is the best thing I've ever eaten. I could sit down with the plate and a spoon and eat the whole thing. I could make it every day. I could eat it for every meal. It's that good. I have this amazing friend Laura, and the other day she hand-delivered rhubarb straight to my door, thrilling me to no end because then I could make this pie. And she said I could have more rhubarb, anytime. Anytime! More pie!

Then there's another amazing friend, our neighbor Mary C., who recently--twice!--rang my doorbell, collected my girls, and took them across the street without me but with a scissors and a vase. And they came back with these:




And I died and went to heaven, with my tulips and daffodils and hyacinth and my pie.


And then there are new spring haircuts on little girls. (If you can't tell, it's about four inches shorter than it was before. I had skipped haircuts for Genevieve since before school started last fall.)

It really doesn't take much to make me happy: tulips, little-girl haircuts, pie. But I also need sunshine a few days in a row, without rain, subzero temperatures, snow, or 40 mph winds, more than once every 7-1/2 months. Does not seem like an unreasonable request.

4 comments:

Mnmom said...

RIght there with you! I have found that sunshine is critical to my mood and general well-being. It's been a tough year to be a Minnesotan.

If you get the urge to bake several more, I know a family who would take one off your hands.

Rita said...

Seven and a half months.

I have no words.

Anonymous said...

Shan, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE your rhubard pie. Didn't you grow your own rhubarb? I thought I remembered that for some reason. Eat a slice for me ;)

-V

Donna said...

She looks so much like you!