Sunday, May 22, 2011

Thank Goodness the World Didn't End While I Was Enjoying the Peace and Quiet.


Last night I was on my own with the girls. Christopher left our house at 4:30 to drive to the city to meet an old friend for dinner and a concert, so I made a nice dinner for the girls and me, and we ate it in front of the open patio door as an unexpected flood of sunshine and fresh breezes drifted into the house.

They played trains while I cleaned up the dishes, and then I drew them a deep bath and scrubbed their grimy weekend bodies and hair and dried them with clean white towels. They calmly let me help them put on cool summer pj's and comb out their snarls. They played nicely while I took my own post-run shower and blew my hair dry. They let me brush and floss their teeth. They listened quietly to Mercy Watson Goes For a Ride, yawning with their bears and blankies.

Then I tucked them into bed, told them I was the only grown-up at home and I needed to work, so they should not fuss and call me back upstairs ten times. And then they went immediately to sleep at 7 p.m. while I sat downstairs and wrote, with a May wind sailing through the open windows and the TV broadcasting warnings of a storm on its way. No one cried. No one fussed, or yelled, or argued. All was peaceful.

I thought maybe it was the Rapture, but I think it was just parenthood.

5 comments:

Laura said...

This was such a cute post! I love the way you told the story.

Mnmom said...

That's what we call a PCH - a moment of Perfectly Crystallized Happiness.

In the summer of 1997 I was single parenting while John had started working in Minnesota. One evening we stayed at the local pool until 7pm. We ate fruit and kolaches from the Farmer's Market in the parking lot. Then drove home showered, full, and happy. The twins went right to bed. I slipped on my new summer pj's and read a good book. We live for those moments.

Rita said...

Ha! Glad you had a good "rapture" day.

Or, as my son said "raptor" day. (He loves dinosaurs).

Neetha said...

Hi...
I just found you from BlogHer...
Nice to meet you...
This is really amazing to find that I (mom of a naughty toddler) 'm not alone here in this blogosphere....
Nice blog u have...

Azalia Suhaimi said...

I enjoy reading your blog, Shannon :-)

Hope to have a blog like this too once I have my own daughters. I do hope to have little girls! :-)

Keep writing. x