Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Updates

So by now I'm sure you're sick and tired of hearing about the book. Sorry about that, but it WAS released this week you know, so the publicity wheels are churning. The L.A. Times wrote about the book yesterday. You can read that here.

A little closer to home, I'm featured in a piece about local writers in my town's newspaper today. Click here to read.

But in case you were hoping to hear about something, anything, unrelated to book publishing from me anytime soon, a couple of updates for you:

  • I have done 16 straight days of the 30 Day Shred, and it's killing me. I reserve the right to skip it today, because I am giving a book reading tonight at the time I would normally be killing myself I mean doing the 30 Day Shred. No, I could not be doing it right now. I am busy drinking coffee and listening to NPR.
  • I tried on the swimsuits. Let's just say the swimsuits inspired the panicked beginning of a diet. In case you don't know me, "diet" means eating a little less ice cream and and maybe, I don't know, only one serving of cheese curls per day. However, after the swimsuit challenge, I may be moved to step it up a little bit. You know, do something radical like NOT EAT JUNK FOOD. Gasp!
  • My almost-7-year-old first-grader came home from school the other day upset because during a rain-cancelled recess, the children were shown part of Aladdin in the school gym, and she found it scary. My daughters, at almost 7 and almost 5, are still too scared to watch any Disney movies other than Cinderella (and even then, the evil stepmother makes them uneasy). But guess what? I'm glad. I think 4- and 6-year-olds--even 5- and 7-year-olds--are very little girls, and should be still doing things like playing dolls (baby dolls, not Bratz) and watching nothing more threatening than classic Winnie-the-Pooh cartoons. I'm old-fashioned that way.
  • Which is why I had to omit the "...the only good Indian is a dead Indian" line from the chapter in Little House on the Prairie I was reading to my daughters last night before bedtime. Yowza! Yes, I vaguely remembered that these books include sticky subjects like racism against Native Americans. And yes, that line could be a good entree into discussing racism with children. But not 4- and 6-year-old children, not in my house at least. I don't even want my sweet innocent babes to know yet that such sentiments exist. (Full disclosure: they have a Native American aunt and 3 part-Native American, part-Hispanic cousins.) When they're a little older, sure. But before bed when they're sitting there in their little lambie pajamas? No.
  • We had snow flurries here on May 2nd. And you wonder why I ate so many cheese curls this year. You have to drown your misery in something, you all. Minnesota is not for the faint of heart.
That all I've got for you, people! Come downtown tonight at 7:30 if you're local; I'll be reading at the bookstore and even my little daughters will be there.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Oh girl, if you had boys, you'd be faced with the social pressure to let them watch things like Star Wars.

Talk about SCARY!