Tuesday, June 14, 2011

2nd Day of Summer

Yesterday was the first official day of summer vacation. I took my daughters to the city pool even though it was partly cloudy, super-breezy, and only about 72 degrees, because we have a family pool pass this year, and we're going to make the most of it, damnit! Who cares if you're cold! We're going to the pool anyway! You're going to swim and you're going to like it!

No, really, it ended up being very fun. The sun came out more fully, it warmed up a few degrees more, and we ran into the 12-year-old daughter of a friend, who played with my girls in the shallow end the whole time we were there, while I sat on the edge of the pool Not Getting Wet. (I don't usually Not Get Wet. I was really cold.) Holla! That was certainly a win for me. (I am considering hiring this girl as a mother's helper a couple of hours a week this summer, so I can get some writing work done.)

Today I'm taking my daughters out to lunch at a little coffee shop/cafe that we go to when they're on school vacation. It's nothing special; they get a kids' sandwich and maybe a big cookie to share, and I get an iced coffee and a salad, and truth be told, it's all overpriced. But they LOVE going there for lunch, and they've been waiting for months for me to take them again. I promised long ago that we'd go during the first week of summer vacation.

You gotta love summer. Even if your kids' idea of sleeping late is not coming out of their bedroom until the clock starts with a "6."

1 comment:

Donna said...

"Even if your kids' idea of sleeping late is not coming out of their bedroom until the clock starts with a "6."

When they're teenagers, we'll look back on this and laugh, right? But until then, I'm right here with you.