Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lesson Learned

I don't mean to be all negative on the third day of summer vacation (uh-oh, a certain regular blog reader and mean-commenter is about to get all hot and bothered, I can feel it...), but it's been pouring rain nonstop since 3 p.m. yesterday and the girls and I had plans this morning to go on a hike, and later to visit our town square's (outdoor) old-fashioned popcorn cart and hear some outdoor music this evening.

Um. Change of plans? Also. It's only supposed to be 70 degrees today. Raining and maaaaybe 70 degrees. What, this is summer? Grumble, grumble.

Not to mention the fact that I went to the sports medicine doc last evening and found out I have a form of bursitis in my hip; that's what's been dogging me the past three weeks and made me largely unable to exercise. (The summer days! The missed runs! Sob.) Bursitis, people! Isn't that, like, something you get when you're...old?

The blame for this falls squarely on the shoulders of Jillian Michaels, as far as I'm concerned, because the bursitis in my hip was triggered by a period of over-activity and over-use, and you may recall I was doing the 30 Day Shred when everything went all to hell in the able-body department. No, no, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that I didn't stop my running schedule during the Shred and, in fact, was increasing my running mileage at the time. Ahem. I prefer to blame Jillian, the woman my daughter continues to describe as "always mad." OK, so, she whips those "Biggest Loser" contestants into admirable shape on TV and all. But clearly I am too old to do Level 3 of the Shred every day AND run 22 miles per week, including one long run on Sundays.

So, I'm off to physical therapy in an attempt to salvage my summer running. It would be nice if I could also salvage some summer weather.

Lastly, my dear faithful readers, you have NO IDEA how much I want to fill you in on my as-yet-unnamed big news. I know I gave you a tease a looong time ago, but back then I fully expected to have firm news for you within days. I'm not at liberty, yet, to spill the beans. All I can say is, I will be, soon.

So! I guess the theme of the week is definitely "Learning My Lesson." Fun times!

3 comments:

Lori said...

I blame Jillian for sure. Ugh, so sorry!

Donna said...

Something is up with the weather this year because our weather has been really funky (and not in the good way, either) this year too. Blech.

I am so sorry to hear about the bursitis. Ugh. Hope it gets better. Soon. (Like yesterday.)

You must be on pins and needles waiting to be allowed to announce your good news! Hope you get permission soon because I'm excited to hear it!

Rita said...

It's Jillian.

No question.