Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Love You, Chris! (I Swear I'm Not a Stalker.)

So yesterday my daughters were outside playing with their neighbor friend when she apparently decided it would be a good idea to tell them that old "Bloody Mary" ghost story. Mmm-hmmm. Remember that one from when you were a kid? Something about a bloody disembodied head appearing in the mirror if you look into it? That's nice. MY DAUGHTERS ARE BARELY-SEVEN AND ALMOST-FIVE.

Sure, I'd love to spend the rest of the day trying to convince my children that stories like that are pure nonsense and nothing scary is lurking in the bathroom mirror or anywhere else. Thank you, eight-year-old neighbor girl.

Sigh.

I seemed to remember a local fellow-mom friend of mine having this same experience with her daughter not that long ago, but I could not remember who it was. Tanya? Amy? I couldn't remember. Later, I was on Facebook and I wrote about it: "Who was it that posted on here last year about an older child telling her daughter the Bloody Mary story and scaring her half to death? Just happened here!"

No one commented that it had been them, although plenty of fellow parents were sympathetic and empathically enraged. Parents know that bedtime is challenging enough without ghost stories, people.

Many hours later I realized who it was who'd had her little daughter terrified by Bloody Mary. It was Chris, at Notes From the Trenches.

Mmm-hmmm.

Me: mistaking Internet rock-stars for personal friends since 2006.

I'm such a dork.

No comments: