Thursday, June 09, 2011

We Made It


So yesterday it happened. Summer came, the right way. After a punishingly long winter, no real spring, and two days in a row of 100 degrees and sky-high humidity, yesterday was gloriously sunny and about 80 degrees, with dry, refreshing air and a lovely breeze. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, which was a clear shade of turquoise. The grass was brilliantly green. The trees were lush with leaves. The flowerbeds all over town were dotted with yellow and pink and red and purple. Our beloved (beloved isn't even a strong enough word, in my family, among my children) CSA farm reopened and we went for the first time since last November. Which seems like a lifetime ago.

The girls and I drove home from the farm yesterday afternoon in the sunshine, the windows down, grins on our faces, cheering and thrilled. "We made it!" Julia said. "We survived the winter! Summer's here! We're back at the farm!" They whooped and yelled and laughed and made up songs about June. We shouted that life is good.

I breathed a big sigh of relief as I drove down 2nd Street past the college. That old Natalie Merchant song popped into my head, do you remember it? These are days you’ll remember/Never before and never since, I promise/Will the whole world be warm as this/And as you feel it/You’ll know it’s true/That you are blessed and lucky.

I seriously hope and pray my girls and I never forget our summers together, driving out to the farm in the sunshine. Winter is hard here. You have to hang onto every warm memory you have, because they're what get you through the coldest, darkest days.

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

Every June, one of my grandparents would recite the first stanza of this lengthy poem. Now I do it too:

And what is so rare as a day in June?
Then, if ever, come perfect days;
Then Heaven tries the earth if it be in tune,
And over it softly her warm ear lays:
Whether we look, or whether we listen,
We hear life murmur, or see it glisten;

Rita said...

Oh this makes me so happy! Yay!

I was just thinking today about how smug I was about Oklahoma while you were enduring your hellish winter in MN. Turns out, I *might* have forgotten how punishing summer can be here. It's been near 100 degrees for DAYS ON END. I wake up sweating, I spend all day sweating, and I sweat all night long.
Not fun. But still not as bad as a 7 month winter. You still win the Suffering the Seasons award ; )