Monday, July 25, 2011

Halfway Point


I've been panicking lately about how much summer has already past, but this morning I took down the calendar, counted, and discovered that we're actually at just the halfway mark. My daughter got out of public school six weeks ago; and they both go back to school six weeks from now. Woot! You have no idea how happy this makes me.

I've never been able to understand those moms who count down the days until the kids go back to school; maybe I will, later -- when my girls are older and bicker with each other even more than they do now. I can imagine pining for some quiet time in that situation. But honestly? Summer isn't nearly long enough for me. I'm never ready to send my daughters to school when it's time to do so. I mean, seriously -- that early bus stop? the morning routine? homework? Gah! What's not to like about planning your own schedule, doing what you feel like doing, spending hours at the pool?

Well. That's just me.

Next week Genevieve begins a three-week half-day program offered through our school district, to help certain vulnerable children prepare to start kindergarten. Of course, Genevieve's not vulnerable academically. She reads at the third-grade level (no joke). But she's very, very young for her cohort. (She turns five in mid-August, and the cut-off in MN is September 1. In general, it's the norm here to hold children like that back a year before starting school. But you all: READING AT THE THIRD-GRADE LEVEL.) And she's socially-emotionally young. And she cries when I leave her places.

I think one of the reasons I was feeling like summer is almost over is because of this program. It's basically summer school, in a way -- it starts early in the morning; it runs for half the day; it meets daily (except Fridays). To me, it feels like school sort of begins next week. That makes me sad, even though I know that if I can actually get Genevieve to go, she will benefit from this program. It is made for children like her.

As usual, I wish I could stop the clock.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you for this reminder. When I wasn't sleeping last night (yeah), I kept thinking how August 1st is lurking just around the corner. 6 more weeks! Now that makes me smile. -Sara

Lori said...

You know, if she's already reading at a third-grade level, you could really just home-school her for five years and then she'd be ready for college/ medical school. :)

Mommy Lisa said...

My child is five and a half and I wish I had a program like this...she has been super sensitive lately and I am WORRIED about her going off to kindergarten.

Rita said...

Would you LOOK at her in that HAT?! ADORABLE!

And I am a bit jealous that you're only halfway through your summer. William starts back on 8/22.

Well, except that he only goes to school 2 days/week... so in a way, I *have* turned back the clock.

Rita said...

Hahaha! I'm just reading Lori's comment. Hilarious!

(and also true!)

Daisy said...

If G. is young for the school grade cut-off, you are absolutely right to enroll her in this program. Intelligent girls often adjust very well socially even if they're young, but who wants to chance it?
(Speaking as one who taught 6th grade for 9 years and saw the results, both positive and negative, of early entry)