Thursday, July 21, 2011

Work-at-Home (And Everywhere Else) Mom

You'll be happy to know that the heat wave broke overnight, but not before my hometown (five hours north of where I live now) achieved the dubious status of being the hottest place on the planet for an hour on Tuesday night. Yes. Northwestern MN beat out, apparently, the Mojave Desert. And everywhere else, too. This morning when I got up at 5:15 a.m. it was 65 degrees here. Sixty-five! That feels like winter compared with the last five days.

You'll also be happy to know that I am slowly inching toward acceptance of the fact that my youngest child begins (half-) daily school in the fall. This may be related to the fact that I am drowning in freelance work and can't seem to find a free minute during the day EVER to complete any of it. And there are only so many hours in the evening. Consequently, I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off this week, rarely home, rarely seated, always busy, but not doing the sort of work that brings in a paycheck. Although, honestly -- if anything deserves a paycheck, it is sitting outside for an entire morning in a 110-degree heat index, first watching children's soccer while attempting to occupy one hot and cranky child and then watching preschooler swimming lessons while attempting to occupy the other.

What was my point again? Oh yes, that as my to-do list becomes ever longer and my blood pressure spikes here and there, I keep reminding myself that the good thing about kindergarten is that I will have five child-free afternoons every week once it begins, during which to work FOR PAY. Oh, wait--I'll be volunteering in both children's classrooms. Good Lord, OK, I'll have three to four afternoons free each week to work. Not counting all the time I'll no doubt have to use for things like doctor and dentist appointments, grocery shopping, running errands for my family, cooking, and cleaning. It's still more than I have now, and more than I've ever had before.

Maybe I'll finally get through one daily to-do list.

No comments: