Friday, August 05, 2011

ABC Summer Weekly Report: L and Q

Oh my. We really dropped the ball on ABC Summer this week. I mean, in my defense, Q is a tough letter. BUT STILL. Seriously, this is what we did this week:

L

made Lemonade pie
*edited to add: went to the Library (I forgot!)

Q

went to Dairy Queen

Can you believe I took my girls to Dairy Queen and called it an ABC Summer activity? And then left it at that? Sigh.

Well. The key to a successful ABC Summer, Shannon-style, is to be laid-back about it, informal, and flexible. That means that, if at some point it's the first week of all-morning, Monday-through-Thursday, kindergarten-preparedness "camp," and you have an all-afternoon visit to an MRI clinic in a different town on one of the days, and it's super hot so you go to the pool three days in a row, and your book rewrites are due to your editor at the end of the week so you spend every spare moment working, well -- you may not get many alphabet activities done. So be it.

To distract you from my slacker performance this week, I will leave you with the pie recipe. Enjoy.

Pink Lemonade Icebox Pie*
serves 8 to 10


Ingredients:

one standard graham-cracker crust
one 8-oz. brick of cream cheese, at room temperature
one 14-oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed to liquid
one 8-oz. container of whipped topping, i.e. Cool Whip, thawed as if ready to use
red food coloring (optional)

Put cream cheese and condensed milk in a large mixing bowl. Beat with mixer until smooth. Add pink lemonade concentrate and entire container of whipped topping. Fold into cream cheese mixture with a spoon (not the mixer). Combine well. If your filling is still white, as mine was, add a few drops of red food coloring (go slow! you want it pink, not red).

Pour filling into pie crust. Place in freezer for 4 hours or overnight, until frozen. To serve, take out of freezer and let soften a bit before cutting into slices.


*Note: I found this recipe on the Family Kitchen blog at Babble.com.

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

I think DQ is a marvelous outing! Keeping things simple and enjoying the small things is no mean skill.

We've been lax about blogging our ABCs. We also had to give up many of them because of 1. the shutdown and 2. no $$.

Mom said...

Well, I'm sure you did a lot of things Quickly this week, given your hectic schedule, and I'm also sure the lemonade pie was of excellent Quality, so I think you are okay.