Thursday, August 11, 2011

Complicated Information


This morning my four-year-old's kindergarten-readiness program held a parent-visit event. The first part of the visit was a presentation for parents only in the media center (that's the LIBRARY to all you old-schoolers, like me). The pre-K kids were still in their classroom doing their usual activities while two of the kindergarten teachers gave a little mini-lecture on what kindergarten is like to the visiting parents. Of course I already know what kindergarten is like; I've had one child go through it already.

Julia was along with me, which was fine for the second half of the event but was pretty boring for her during the lecture. After all, she knows all about kindergarten, too. Mostly she read a Junie B. Jones chapter book and squirmed. But she heard the part where one of the teachers said that by the end of kindergarten, the children will all know a set of 19 "sight words" and be able to recognize them in print -- common, important words like "a," "an," "the," "this," "you," and the like. Of course they may know far more by the end of kindergarten, but they need to recognize at least these 19.

Julia tapped me on the arm and looked at me worriedly. She leaned over with big eyes and whispered loudly, "Mama, what about Genevieve?? She knows, like....'information' and 'complicated.'"

What, indeed. I suddenly had a flashing thought of how sometimes things happen in life that you could never have expected to happen before -- things you would never have believed could ever happen -- and then you look back after they have, and you recall the times you said, No way would that EVER happen! or I could never do that in a million years! and you shake your head and chuckle at your previous statements.

And I thought of all the times people have said to me, only half-jokingly -- about Genevieve's potentially genius intelligence and the fact that she's going off to kindergarten knowing most of what children know in second grade and reading books children read in third and fourth, and how will a typical elementary school ever know how to truly service a child with that level of atypical intellectual ability -- that maybe I'll end up having to home-school this one.

No way would that EVER happen. I could never do that, not in a million years.

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

Well . . um. . . ok.

Lori said...

I wasn't joking about the home schooling, dude. :)