Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Civic Duty

Of course I got impaneled on a jury! Of course I did. I can't tell you anything about the case, so you'll just have to use your imaginations. You can also imagine me freaking out about childcare, falling behind on work, and earning ten dollars per day for my service. As my friend Connie said, "You're finally getting paid to be a stay-at-home mom!" And as I said to her, "HA. HA."

By the way, the vast majority of my fellow jurors are retired. I think there is one other non-retired adult on the jury with me. He is not married and has no children. He works for his parents. In other words, no one there is stressed out about being there (or so it appears) except me. In fact, they seem to be having a lot of fun. I resent them.

4 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

OMG. Next time in your interview be sure to tell them how you are a card carrying anarchist.

Dvr Dame said...

Good luck with jury duty! I've been able to use the excuse "I have no babysitter for my children." Let's see how long that works.

Shannon said...

I tried to get excused due to the no alternate childcare last spring, but all they let me do was request a postponement. Which is what this was. You do not get excused here for no childcare. Anyway, I ended up on the jury so I guess the attorney(s) thought I was a good fit. And in the end, it was a 1-1/2 day trial and I'm very glad I did it. It was a very emotional personal injury case involving a young local mom of two. I feel like we did the right thing by her.

The only bad thing is that my term of duty is 2 weeks and just b/c I just finished one case does NOT mean I can't get called again. I guess it happens quite often. So, every day I still have to call to see if I've been called again for the next day for another trial.

Yikes!

Rita said...

Wait, so you're STILL on jury duty even AFTER serving on a jury??

Ridiculous. Stark raving wacko.