Thursday, September 22, 2011

Everything Happens at Once, Have You Noticed?

For any of you who didn't see the comments in my last post, I served on the jury for a personal injury trial that took 1-1/2 days and concluded late afternoon Tuesday. Since then, I have not been called in again, although I definitely could be, anytime this week or all of next. Just because you've served on one jury does not mean you are exempt from being called again during your two-week duty. The bailiffs said it happens all the time.

I really, really, really hope I do not get called in again, but in the end, I was glad to be a part of the case for which I was a juror. I feel like the system worked for the woman involved, and I was proud and relieved to be able to do right by her. And it was a very interesting and educational experience too. However, there's no doubt that jury duty was (and continues to be) significantly difficult for me, given my current circumstances. Everyone else on the jury either left an office for a couple of days -- with no negative consequences because of course you are legally required to serve on jury duty if you get called, and workplaces are required to allow you to do that -- or were retired and so had no schedule conflicts with work. I mean, I'm not saying no one else was inconvenienced, but at least they didn't have to stress about who would take care of their children while they were there. That worry can be very distracting when you're serving on a jury.

So, I'm glad I did it, but that doesn't mean I want to have to do it again.

The other two things that have swallowed me whole right now are: a.) the fact that I'm currently sick; and b.) the rewrites on my book are scheduled to be completed this week. Between those two things and jury duty, my week is a black hole. I'm barely keeping my head above water, and I've been largely out of contact with most everyone. Sorry, everyone!

Hopefully my life will return to normal soon, and I'll be back to more frequent (and more interesting) writing than this.

1 comment:

Rita said...

You're right. Everything DOES happen at once.

Here's wishing you calm waters soon!!