Monday, September 19, 2011

Lice vs. Jury Duty: Lose-Lose?

So, the first cold virus of the school year has hit our family. It actually hit last week--the second week of school. Sounds about right. (Sigh.) Along with the first notice about head lice making an appearance in one of the girls' classrooms. Second week. Have I ever told you my philosophy about lice? Basically, it's that once you have children in school, lice is inevitable. It's a "when," not an "if." I'm serious. It seems like everyone gets it at some point or another during the elementary school years. I figure if I just accept it now, I'll be better off later, when I'm faced with it. Of course "later" could be a lot sooner than I think.

Also: jury duty. Do you know how jury duty works in my county? You call at 4:30 on the Friday afternoon before your term. Then the recording tells you to call a DIFFERENT number on Monday, BETWEEN 11:15 AND 11:30 A.M., to find out if you have to report to the courthouse (in a town 30 minutes away) at 1 p.m. No, I'm not making this up.

Seriously, Rice County? Seriously? THAT'S your jury duty protocol? That's the best you can do? A 15-minute window of time on a weekday morning, to find out if you have to be in a different town for the rest of the day, starting in 90 minutes? And apparently I will have to do this every day for two weeks? AND I HAVE A CHILD TO TAKE CARE OF? WTH? That has got to be the most ridiculous policy I have ever heard. I mean, what happens if you call at, say, 11:31? Are you in contempt? What if you can't find on-the-spot childcare, and you can't make it to the other town by 1?

Oh, and what's with the hundred different phone numbers involved? Seriously, that's just silly. My form gave me two phone number choices to call at 4:30 on Friday, and then later I discovered TWO DIFFERENT phone numbers printed at a different place on the form. Then when I listened to the Friday recording, it gave me two entirely different phone number choices to call between 11:15 and 11:30 today. Numbers that are different from all four of the other numbers.

Come on, now. Surely some of the organizational brainpower involved in figuring out the six different phone number possibilities could be harnessed to determine a better, more timely way to alert jurors that they need to report. You know, other than the FIFTEEN-MINUTE WINDOW IDEA.

GAH!

4 comments:

Mnmom said...

More like louse-lose!
Yep, lice is inevitable. And they really like squeaky clean heads the best. Easier to attach to clean hair.
You should complain in writing to several people at Rice Co.

Mommy Lisa said...

That is ALL kinds of messed up.

Rita said...

Bahahaha! "louse-Lose". Mnmom, you are hilarious!

Also, I refuse to accept that my kids will get lice. I just can't bear the thought.

Which means they will totally get it. That's just the way the universe works.

As for the jury duty: that just plain sucks.

Mom and Kiddo said...

Last year almost every kid in Kiddo's class got lice, including him. By the time it was discovered we all had lice. So gross. I hauled all of us to the lice lady who combed us clean in less than an hour. Best money I ever spent.