Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Mama Essentials, Part 2

Are you ready for my review of life-changing product #2? (Reminder: no one is compensating me for this series of posts.)

Today: Dandy Blend.


This is a caffeine-free, instant, herbal coffee alternative, made from dried dandelion root, chicory root, roasted barley, and beetroot.

Stay with me, now.

Never in a million years would I have believed that a drink made from dandelions would be tasty, nor that I would give up coffee -- and the bulk of my caffeine intake -- in favor of this concoction, with no caffeine-withdrawal symptoms whatsoever, and yet, both things are true. Trust me on this. Dandy Blend is great, and no doubt my body and brain are a lot better off without a ton of caffeine coursing through my veins every day. Plus, dandelion and chicory are full of nutrients and have a ton of healthy properties! Bonus.

So does it taste like coffee? Kind of. It tastes nutty, coffee-ish, and good. I like it, both iced and hot. I tend to use a lot of the powder to make my Dandy Blend strong; this makes it taste richer and more like coffee. It's not bitter or off-tasting like coffee can sometimes be. And it's great both with a splash of half-and-half (my preferred coffee addition) and without.

Like Revitalash, Dandy Blend is pricey. However, I have chosen to view it as a medical expense. Because with my history of mysterious high blood pressure, random anxiety, and stress-related hair loss, let's face it: a stimulant is not what I need.

My only problem with Dandy Blend (other than the price) is that there's no quick and easy way to refer to it. I mean, you can't really say, "Wait till I drink my herbal coffee alternative." Or, "I need to grab a mug of herbal coffee alternative." But if you say "Dandy Blend," no one's going to know what you're talking about and also it sounds....bizarre.

Next up: my miracle hair product. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Mary S. said...

Where do you buy this in Northfield? I have been trying to cut back on caffeine, too, and really don't like decaf coffee that much. Thanks!

Shannon said...

Hi Mary S., I don't buy it in town. I order it from iHerb.com. Good luck! Maybe check the co-op too?

Rita said...

I *so* need this!

Thank you so much for recommending! And Mary S. beat me to the question... I'll check out iHerb.com

Shannon said...

Hey ladies, if you order from iHerb.com and there is a place to enter how you heard of them, please mention my name! I'll get a discount the next time I order if you do. :) Thanks! (No worries if you don't order, or if you forget!)