Thursday, October 06, 2011

Free Time is Expensive.

Autumn in a bowl.

Ha ha ha ha, I like how the second I say "OMG I have so much free time,"* I immediately have too much to do and can't remember why I ever said I had any free time. And by "like," I mean "hate."

Seriously, doesn't this kind of thing happen to you all the time? You get super excited and one morning you crow, "OMG the baby is sleeping through the night!" and IMMEDIATELY, AS IN THAT VERY NIGHT, the baby wakes up five times between 10 p.m. and dawn. Or, you're like, "Wow, my part-time freelance job is going so well that I think I can actually start sending more then ten cents per month to my student loan** company!" and then within days your freelance job has mysteriously evaporated without so much as a warning.

So what am I busy with now? Well, I have my book manuscript back, for one thing, with more things to work on there. And, because I just spent the last of my freelance money to pay a doctor bill and get my hair done because God knows if you're going to be broke and busy, you at least deserve to look pretty, I'm also spending a lot of time searching for a new part-time job. Let me tell you, part-time freelance work-from-home jobs that pay more than $2.50 per 400-word written article are not that easy to come by.

Lastly, by the end of this week I will have been to three doctors in three days, which takes time. Time that would otherwise be free.

That's all right, though; I'd rather be busy than a number of alternatives. After all, being busy means you have a lot going on in your life, which by definition means you have a lot in your life. You know what I mean?

Carry on, busy moms! You're in good company.


*Translation: "so much free time," to a mom, means anything more than five minutes. **No, I'm not 25. I'm FORTY, YOU ALL, and I still have student loan debt! Big student load debt. Ha ha, so funny.*** That's what you get when you go to school until you're 29 to get a Ph.D. in a low-paying profession. ***And by "funny," I mean horrifying.

No comments: