Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Maybe I'll Grow to Like Being Broke.

I have been laid off (temporarily, I hope, but who knows?) from my part-time freelance writing job for over two weeks now. Prior to that, I had been working at least 15 hours a week from home, writing health and nutrition articles for Livestrong.com. All of a sudden I'm not working 15 hours a week. In addition, my (final?!) book manuscript is with my editor, and school volunteering has not yet begun.

People, I am B-R-O-K-E, but OMG the free time! It is a revelation. I have not had measurable "free" time in...well, let's just say almost 7-1/2 years. Before my part-time job, I had a child at home with me at all times and/or was writing a book. Once both children had at least some school, I was working. Now both children are in school daily -- albeit only three hours for Genevieve -- and right now I have no part-time job.

OMG.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have money than free time, if only to fulfill basic adult responsibilities like, you know, paying the doctor bills and feeding my kids, but seriously, it is a shame that as soon as both kids are in school many stay-at-home moms resume working (at least somewhat) at another job. Because ladies, if you've been a full-time stay-at-home mom for some 7-1/2 years, YOU DESERVE SOME FREE TIME! This is your first opportunity to use the bathroom alone and actually sit down to drink a cup of coffee. You can return phone calls without a child shouting, "Mama, look at me! Mama, look at me! Mama, look at me!" for the duration of your conversation. You can go to the supermarket alone. On a regular basis.

I know that, as a stay-at-home mom, there's always work to do, even when the children aren't around. It's not like anyone's sitting around eating bonbons and watching The Doctors on daytime TV. But maybe they should be. At least a little bit.

4 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

I'm glad to see you post this. I'm glad to pinch even more pennies if it means you can have real free time for a few months - or, heck, until Vivi starts first grade. Seems only fair.

Shannon said...

It won't be for long at any rate. Soon it'll be book promotion time and my new wellness coaching practice!

Sue @ Laundry for Six said...

I've been looking forward to free time for 13 years! I finally got everyone in school this year and vowed to take 6 months to myself before looking for a job. I didn't even make it 6 weeks before I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I never even bought the bon-bons!

Rita said...

YAY for free time!

Too bad Oprah isn't on the air anymore... I hear that's the housewife gold standard! Ha!

And I saw your comment about the book tour. I assume you will be coming to Oklahoma? Yes? YES?

I have a very cozy guest room is all I'm saying.