Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Holiday Gift Guide

Are you ready for the Mama in Wonderland 2011 Holiday Gift Guide? Full of awesome ideas for great gifts for all the moms you know (including you)?

Here goes! (Oh and by the way: none of these companies is compensating me in any way for these plugs. You're welcome, companies.)

When choosing a gift for a mom -- whether that be a friend, your sister, your cousin, or your own mom -- you can't go wrong with the Benefit Eye Bright instant eye brightening pencil, a miracle makeup stick that makes you look like you've gotten more sleep than you actually have. Don't think of it as telling the recipient that she has giant dark circles under her eyes. Think of it as saying, I'm a mom too; I get it. This will help and you will love it.




Again, in the beauty department, I highly recommend Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Anti-Wrinkle Deep Wrinkle Night Moisturizer (whew, that's a mouthful). I know this may be a sensitive maneuver; after all, you don't want to imply that your favorite fellow mom is a wrinkled old crone. But if we're talking about your BFF with whom you discuss everything, including the indignities of turning forty, this is a great gift. It works!




PeaceLoveMom t-shirts. OMG, I love this company so much I cannot even tell you. Their tees, with their signature positive, mom-celebratory messages, are unbelievably fab: comfy, cute, hip, and happiness-inducing. I have the "Lucky Mom, 24/7" thermal tee, above (mine is a bright raspberry, but I love that pumpkin color), and I get comments and compliments on it wherever I go. But be sure and check out all their cheerful options, which include designs like "happy mom," "Major Mom," and "Peace Love Mom." The hard part is choosing which one to buy. You might just have to include one for yourself in your order.




Mothers' jewelry has been all the rage for awhile now, but AJ's Collection offers particularly pretty, modern pieces that will stand the test of time and make you happy every time you wear them. Personally, I want the "Lucky Two" necklace, above; but I also love the "Deux Mini," and there are myriad choices for moms and grandmas of any number of children or grandchildren.





You don't have to spend a lot to make someone's holiday. Give one of Old Navy's colorful scarves; any mom will appreciate looking stylish AND feeling cozy and warm while wrangling kids at the sledding hill or skating rink this winter.




Got an outdoor exerciser on your list? Moms know it's tough to fit exercise into our busy schedules; it often means our winter walks and runs happen either before the sun rises or after it sets -- i.e., when children are sleeping or otherwise occupied. I just ordered a pair of Knuckle Lights, and though I haven't received them yet, I'm psyched to exercise outside in December and January without being terrified I'm either going to slip on an unseen patch of ice or get hit by a car in the dark. I bet you know someone who would love this nifty invention, too.

And, of course, shameless self-promotion: As mentioned the other day, my book The Essential Stay-at-Home Mom Manual: How to Have a Wondrous Life Amidst Kids and Chaos comes out just before the holidays -- December 15th, I believe (I'll let you know). It's a one-stop resource for keeping yourself sane, healthy, and happy; your kids entertained; and your household in order. It's especially for any at-home mom who struggles with taking care of herself as thoroughly as she takes care of her kids, and who loves being a mom but also admits that it drives her crazy at times. Oh, wait a minute -- that's pretty much any at-home mom! How convenient! Just order a bunch of copies of my book and your holiday shopping is done.

Until then, have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am thankful for every single one of you who reads my blog. Yes, I am talking to YOU.

2 comments:

Rita said...

I forwarded your post to Susan... I ztahink she needs the knuckle mlights n

And how do you use the under eye pencil? Do you "color" it on sort of like concealer?

Shannon said...

Rita--
The pencil is more of a highlight/brightener than a concealer. You sort of dot it on the inside corner of your eye, like on the side of your nose right there by the corner of your eye, where shadows are darkest, then blend lightly with your fingertip. Voila! :)