Tuesday, November 22, 2011

If You Don't Have a Penny, a Ha'Penny Will Do.

I don't want to get all maudlin on you, so I won't say a whole lot, but my family is seriously scraping the bottom of the piggy bank this fall. Christopher and I both got laid off from our part-time jobs in September. His layoff is temporary, thank God, and he should be re-hired in January, but my more sizable chunk seems gone for good. These jobs were the ones that paid the bills and allowed for the fun and "treats" that Christopher's regular full-time day job does not cover. (Stay-at-home motherhood, while super-valuable and important, does not come with a salary, as we all know.)

Unfortunately, when my job shriveled up, there was every reason to believe it was also a temporary hiccup, so I continued to use my credit card to buy and pay for the extras I was used to getting -- the new chinos and long-sleeved tees for fall, the skin cream, the brow tint, the coffee dates with my kids, the exciting big Christmas present for my girls, bought early -- as well as the necessities I had no choice but to buy: the medical-grade UV light box that my doctor recommended, the vitamins and supplements for my falling-out hair, the new contact lenses, the groceries, the new snow pants and mittens for my daughters, the hand-held safety lights for my after-dark winter runs, the ENDLESS doctor and dentist and opthamologist co-pays, the physical therapy and cortisone injection and lab-work bills. Because I assumed in a month or two I'd have the ability to pay it off. Horrifyingly, that has not been the case. The end result is a large credit card balance, right before Christmas.

So what's my point, you ask? I'm boring and annoying you? My point is that, since Christmas may be rather spare in my house this year (other than for my kids, because I simply could not resist the on-sale BIG DOLLHOUSE, shhhh! OMG can you imagine being 5 and 7 years old and coming down the stairs on Christmas morning to that?? could not resist), I'm going to make up for it with a fun blog post for you -- a round-up of GREAT holiday gifts for moms. Use it to buy for your best friend, your sis, your cousin, your aunt, your mom -- or direct your husband or partner to it for ideas for stuffing your stocking. (Not meant as a euphemism.)

Check back soon. I'll have some sweet suggestions for you, or for the Santa in your house.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Oh girl. I feel your pain. I've decided to knit all my relatives a gift as yarn is the only thing I can afford. *sigh*

Donna said...

Sorry to hear about all of this. Funny, though, because the other day I was thinking about your vinegar house-cleaning quest (and other ways to save money and still have a clean house) and wondered how that went and if you're still using any of those things you tried back then.

And lastly, the last sentence (before the check back...) made me spit out my coffee because it was so something C would say that it made me laugh out loud. Love you guys.

Shannon said...

Note to Donna: Yes! I have used vinegar and baking soda (not together!) as cleaning products for years now! I am a true convert. And I have restarted diluting my laundry detergent, hand soap, etc. Little things add up.

Angel said...

We are SO in the same boat. One income does not make for easy holiday shopping! I too am knitting a bunch of gifts, but quickly running out of time! Cheap(er) but time consuming. Too bad there is no way my kids will consider a knitted pair of stockings a great gift. ;)