Wednesday, November 02, 2011

My Running Route, November.



(Part of) my running route in November: woods, prairie.

It's November. There's no denying anymore what is coming. It's gray, breezy, and brisk, and that happened overnight. (On Halloween it was sunny, calm, and warm.)

Last night I went up to my running route--perhaps my favorite place on earth for several years now--and though I didn't dare run (injured hip), I walked part of it just to be in the air and amidst the prairie and woods. Every time I'm up there at that time of day, I see the same family of white-tailed deer; they're always at the same bend in the wooded trail, and usually they leap away into the trees when they see me coming but once they stood not ten feet from me and just watched me go past, big eyes staring, still as a painting.

I go much farther into the woods than the photos up there imply, and I often see wildlife--deer or pheasants or wild turkeys. It was too dark to take pictures inside the woods, though, and I didn't think of it when I was at the best part of my route, a ridge that overlooks a vast swath of rolling meadow and prairie grass, edged in banks of trees meeting the large sky where the sun was setting. You can't see any part of town right there, and you'd swear you were hundreds of miles from human life.

I'm getting ready to say goodbye to this route for awhile, because once it's snowed in, I can't run the woods and prairie anymore. Not that I've done much running this summer and fall anyway. Even so, it's hard to leave it. There's something truly restorative and soothing about being out in nature like that. And I don't mean "nature" like your neighbor's yard or the path behind the golf course.

Are you ready for November?

5 comments:

Rob Hardy said...

Meanwhile, there are elements within your own family who can't wait for your running route to be snowed in.

You should really start skiing, Shannon!

Shannon said...

You're probably right, Rob!!! :)

Christopher Tassava said...

Skiing is nice, but this post is great. The Arb is wonderful in all four seasons.

Mom said...

Looks and sounds like a beautiful place but it also sounds like it could be dangerous to me!! ABC -- Always Be Careful!

Carmi said...

Your running route is much prettier than mine. It always saddens me a little when winter closes off some routes. But somehow, it opens up others. I guess it's up to us to figure out where to go next.