Monday, November 21, 2011

Sunday Sledding



Over the weekend, it snowed in my town for the first time this season. Only an inch, maybe--nothing major. But enough to send the children out in snow pants and parkas and boots as fast as possible. Children here--maybe children everywhere?--get very excited about snow. Especially the first snow.

The snow fell on Saturday afternoon, and my daughters played in it a little then, between the time it switched over from rain until they and the friends I was babysitting decided some hot chocolate was in order; and then we were all gone to a big party in the evening. But Sunday morning they were up before six, as usual...and by 7:30 a.m. they were sledding our backyard hill. Kids! They amaze me. I mean, at 7:30 a.m. I was drinking coffee in my pajamas and contemplating nothing more ambitious than, say, eating breakfast.

The snow will melt in a day or two; this week is supposed to be warm. Oops, I mean, "warm." I realize that 45 degrees is not "warm" to my southern friends.

But the snow will return soon. And it was a fun weekend.

No comments: