Thursday, December 29, 2011

I Resolve to Continue Eating Sugar.

So, New Year's is coming. Have you been thinking about your resolutions?

I go back and forth about New Year's resolutions, but many years I have made some sort of vow or ambitious goal. Like most people, I have a relatively shabby track record with keeping my resolutions beyond, uh, the first week in January. "Eat fewer junky snacks" just doesn't hold up when I'm running 20 or more miles per week, and, come on, aren't writers supposed to drink a lot of caffeine? It's who we are. Of course I could and probably should always make those character-improving resolutions like "Give more money to charity even though my income is miniscule because there are always people who have less than I do," and "Yell less." Or, how about the health-related ones like "Meditate every day" and "Take yoga for stress relief"?

Meh.

Two years ago, my New Year's resolution was to write the book I'd been musing on for years, one chapter a month, no matter how many children I had clinging to my knees at the time or how many times my toddler woke (me) up each night.

One year ago, my New Year's resolution was to land a book deal, and get said book out into the world beyond my hard drive.

Although I have plenty of things I am determined to do in 2012--promote the hell out of this book, for one thing, and give it the best chance at doing well that I can--I don't think I'm making any formal New Year's resolutions this year. I think I've earned a year off. I'm OK with not giving up Cheetos. I don't need to exercise more or lose any weight. I floss every night without fail. I hope my normal, daily life goes well enough that, even if I don't meditate or give up caffeine (again), I can be proud of who I am and what I'm doing each day.

Are you making resolutions this year?

2 comments:

Rita said...

Last year i didn't make any resolutions and I ended up having (literally) the worst year of my life.

So I plan on making a shit-ton of resolutions. I'll do ANYTHING not to repeat 2011.

Sue @ Laundry for Six said...

Impressive! I resolved to get 8 hours of sleep a night. Four days in and I've only done this once so far. But that's one more day than all of last year!