Monday, December 19, 2011

The Week Before Christmas

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but we've been having spring weather where I live. Yes, I know I live in MN. The place where winter usually lasts six months, and where it snowed last May Day.

It looks nothing like December outside, let alone the holidays. The snow is long gone. (Everyone here is heartbroken, and although I'm not winter's biggest fan, I do want and expect a white Christmas, had planned my girls' Christmas vacation to include plenty of skating and sledding and snowman-building and hot chocolate-drinking, so this is rather sad.) Yesterday it was 47 degrees and sunny. When I walked out of the building after my daughter's swimming lesson, I thought, Wow what a great day for a run. When I'm not injured, Sunday is a big running day for me. I always run on Sundays. The upside of a spring-like December is that it's a total bonus for outdoor runners.

On the way home, I noted how odd it was that I was not hungry, seeing as how it was 1 p.m. and I hadn't yet had lunch. Hmmm.... An hour later my hands and fingers began to ache. Hmmm....? A short while after that, my skin began to hurt. Then I became feverish and noticed that the idea of dinner was about as appealing as a brown Christmas. Damn.

I swallowed a friend's leftover Zofran, drank 4 ounces of fizzy water and ate 5 saltines, and went to bed at 7 p.m.

I didn't run. I didn't go out in the spring-like weather. And now it's the week before Christmas and I've got some sort of VIRUS.

So along with wishing for a white Christmas, I'm also wishing for a speedy recovery. Moms have things to do at this time of year, you know?

No comments: