Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Book Smart

(photo courtesy Amazon.com)


February is "I Love to Read" Month at my daughters' school. Yesterday Julia came home with a notice from her 2nd-grade teacher about an upcoming literature assignment. Everyone gets to write a "love letter" to a favorite book.

First of all, can I just say how much I love that idea? I mean, this is the best school assignment ever. As a former English major and current writer, I would be hard pressed to name anything that's been more influential in my life than books (you know, after parents and love and all that), and I know that's true for my daughters as well.

But there's more! The second part of the assignment is for everyone's parents to write a love letter to a favorite book, too! I got so excited when I read that. I gasped and started musing out loud to my daughter about which book I would pick.

"Ooh, ooh! I will do Our Nest, that's my all-time favorite," I exclaimed. "Or wait! "I'll do Momma, Will You? I love that one so much; it's so sweet and that bedtime page still reminds me of you and Genevieve. Or maybe Our Kindergarten, something by Rosemary Wells? I have such a soft spot in my heart for that book because I really feel it helped you both be ready for school. It's so sweet and comforting, that cute little school on Cranberry Island. Of course then there's Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse--that Mr. Slinger and his little note about tomorrow being a better day, you have to love that..."

[And here I may have sighed happily.]

"... Or Little House in the Big Woods, because of that part at the very end, that peaceful, zen ending with Laura snuggled in bed listening to Pa play "Auld Lang Syne" on his fiddle, and she's thinking about the fact that it can never be long ago, that it's always now? I love that."

[More sighing.]

And then Julia said, "Mama? I think the parent love letter is supposed to be to a GROWN-UP BOOK."

Oh. Right. Books for grown-ups. Those still exist, don't they?

Read any good books lately?

3 comments:

Heidi Mann said...

Too funny! My first thought was the whole "Little House on the Prairie" series of books because I loved them when I was younger, and I love reading them with Gabe again now. Not sure what could really top those.

Mom said...

I would have to write about a hundred love letters. Perhaps you'd want to choose "In Mother Words"!! "Just sayin'!"

Anonymous said...

I was lucky to find this mamainwonderland.blogspot.com site. I'm so surprised by your way of thinking and writing. Have you thought about writing a book?