Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I Feel like President of the Joy Luck Club.

Might you appreciate a brief update on a few things? Perhaps only if you're my mother, but that's never stopped me before, so here you go!

On Sunday afternoon when I took my daughters to swimming lessons, I ran into my sports medicine doctor. You know, the one who gave me a cortisone injection in my rear last fall? And I was able to tell him that I ran 7.5 miles the night before. He was thrilled. (So was I, not least to run into my handsome and charming sports medicine doctor! Awesome.)

The truth is, my running injury still bothers me. It's not as if it's completely resolved. Advil is my favorite running buddy. But if I'm running 7.5 miles at a time, ever, believe me--I'm thrilled too. And that's a big change from November. Every mom needs an outlet for parenting stress and an escape from the constant demands of family management, and running is mine. Everyone's a lot happier here when Mama gets her runs in, so hallelujah. I'll put up with a little pain.

In other news, it's supposed to be 52 degrees here today. You would never know it's January in Minnesota if you glanced outside.


In our backyard, over Christmas break


And, we moved the giant dollhouse from the upstairs playroom back down into the living room, where the girls prefer to be in the center of the "playing house" action.

Totally worth it, doesn't bother me at all


Finally, the stream of suspected sham reviews of my book seems to have been halted--at least for now--by my last blog post. That's nice, and I'm sure my publisher and Barnes & Noble will continue to communicate and keep an eye on things over there.

Oddly, I recently heard that a working-mom friend-of-a-friend (no one I know, no one nearby, and no one ever mentioned here) read my book and stated that it denigrates working moms. What in the world?

I want to make it crystal clear that I've never, EVER made any statements here or in my book bashing or judging working moms. You can hunt around all you want if you disagree, but you won't find that kind of sentiment, because it's not how I feel or what I think. (I suspect that my friend Rob's comment on my last post is correct about this sort of reaction.) I wrote my book specifically for stay-at-home moms, about and for the problems all stay-at-home moms I know struggle with on a daily basis. I never expected any working moms to read it. That said, there are working parents out there who have read my book, liked it, and feel it is helpful to parents of any sort. So that is truly a lovely bonus.

Life is good here. An easy winter, running again, little girls playing dollhouse, a published book generating buzz. If this isn't the exact opposite of last year's winter from hell, I don't know what is! Clearly I earned this year.

And that's my happy update.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Oh this makes me happy.

You HAVE earned a good winter!

And if it makes you feel any better, I currently have an 8 foot train track in my formal living room.