Thursday, January 05, 2012

Undeck Those Halls!


Sob. I miss it.


I still haven't taken down the Christmas tree. There just doesn't seem to be any time. I thought I'd get it done some weekday, but so far I've been too busy making up recipes with Genevieve (pumpkin banana bread; started out strong, ended up sinking in the middle) and creating finger puppets out of sponges (she loved it). I mean, I suppose I could do what most people probably do, and actually use my evenings to accomplish something, but I prefer to be in my pajamas by 6:30 p.m. and sit around idly window-shopping the after-Christmas sales on the Internet and moping about having gone through all five seasons of "Friday Night Lights" on DVD, the completion of which has left me bereft. (An aside: My obsession with that show over the past five years has had the unlikely and unexpected effect of leaving me with a true soft spot in my heart for both Texas and football. CRAZY.)

Then I go to bed early because "back to the usual routine" is fairly exhausting. Before you're a stay-at-home mom to school-agers (or, at least, partial school-agers), you think the daytime hours must be a gaping hole of empty time. Then when you become one you realize those hours are the same as any other job's daytime hours: filled with tasks that need to be done. The only difference is that you don't get paid for doing them.

In other news, my daughters have not played with their giant dollhouse since Christmas Day (when they spent six hours playing with it). According to them, that is because we moved it from directly in front of the fireplace (where Santa left it) in our tiny living room, upstairs to the playroom. You know, where the TOYS GO. Even though they use their playroom all the time, they tell me that they want to play dollhouse "down where YOU are, Mama." Since Santa left a hefty Visa bill in his wake which had better be worth it, I'm considering moving the dollhouse back downstairs. Because nothing says "I will strangle someone if this dollhouse does not get played with every day for the next two years because I am determined to live my personal dream of watching my daughters play with a big beautiful dollhouse, thus prolonging their childhoods as long as possible," like a giant dollhouse in a small room with no space for a dollhouse.

Hey! It could go where the Christmas tree is!

I should really get on that.

5 comments:

Angel said...

Our Christmas decor will stay up until the 20th or so (when Dave returns) because we didn't have time to take it down before he left! You can totally make me feel better about an Xmas tree up until nearly February and leave yours up too. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's Mommy2Crazies. I can relate about the dollhouse. We want to create a playroom upstairs for all the "toys to go" but I know when we do that, they will just want to be downstairs anyway... so we are reluctant just yet. Still have a 1 year old who can't do the stairs on her own anyway so we shall see how it goes! Good luck with that tree!

Mnmom said...

Playrooms never work. Kids ALWAYS want to be in the middle of the action. Since my twins turned 18, I am reminded once again how amazingly quickly those years pass. Before you know it they are teens with adult-sized bodies and the dollhouse has been passed on. Put it back by the fireplace and enjoy this time.

Rita said...

Can we still be friends if I tell you I've never seen an episode of FNL?

Shannon said...

Aw, Angel's comment made me laugh, Mnmom's comment made me cry, and Rita's comment made me realize she's next on my list of friends to indoctrinate into rabid FNL fandom. Once you try it, there's no going back, Rita!!! (Haven't you hard the saying, "There are only two kinds of people: those who love Friday Night Lights and those who have never seen it"?)