Monday, January 16, 2012

What's in Your Closet, Mamas?

So, I don't have a lot of "dressy" clothes. I haven't worked outside my home full-time for 7-1/2 years (nor part-time for 5-1/2 years), and let's just say that, as a full-time stay-at-home mom, I'm not going to a lot of places that require dressing up.

During the day I'm consumed with child-wrangling and bus stop runs and laundry and errands and playdates and park meet-ups and baking bread with small children. Squeeze a little writing in there and that's pretty much my day. During the evenings, I run, and after that I'm so tired from my day that the only thing I'm changing into is my pajamas. I'm certainly not dressing up to go anywhere nice.

Whether that's fairly typical for a stay-at-home mom or terribly sad, I don't know, but my version of looking nice involves a basic uniform of a solid-colored or sailor-striped tee, skinny jeans tucked into boots, and a bright scarf--plus my Ellington bag and a trench or wool jacket if I'm going out. During the warmer months, I swap the jeans for skirts and sundresses, and the boots for sandals or ballet flats. All well and good, but certainly nothing too dressed up, and nothing I can't throw into the washer without a second thought.

So I'm doing pretty well in the "mom style basics" department, but there's one thing I'm missing, something discussed on Facebook recently. You didn't know that if you comment on Susan's Working Closet Facebook page, you risk getting a style column written about you, did you? Well, now you know.

Let me know what your version of "looking nice" entails, then click over to Susan's column to see what I need to add to my closet. Maybe you do too?

No comments: